need recipe ideas ... I have an allergy to milk

my hubby loves milk, cheese , but i'm allergic..

maiahlynn

Asked by maiahlynn at 10:17 AM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I have a lot. Send me a message offlist if you would like some. This is a favorite at my house: Pasta and Tofu with Finger-Licking Peanut Sauce
    1/2 cup low or no sodium vegetable broth
    1/4 cup chunky peanut butter (I use smooth)
    1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
    2 teaspoons chile paste with garlic (add to taste, it is pretty spicey)
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    8 ounces uncooked whole wheat angel hair
    1 pound firm tofu, drained and cubed (optional)
    1 cup (2-inch) sliced green onions
    1 cup shredded carrot

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:41 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Can you use Soy milk instead, or is that still considered milk product?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I don't like soy milk, but drink lactaid
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:39 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• i know partners and if they want to eat something wether you are allergic or not they still do it.
    i dont know why though just explain your concern make it out to be worse than what it is say its life threatening if he cuts the cheese on the bench and you make yourself something there it can do serious damage and just ask him to rinse his cup with hot water to prevent any allergie that may be harmful
    k.shorter.90

Answer by k.shorter.90 at 12:03 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Have you tried the flavored soy milk?
    Herbalife

Answer by Herbalife at 3:58 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I often make my lasagna with soft tofu instead of ricotta, if you make the filling a day ahead, and saute, garlic, basil....I also love to add spinach and mushrooms, and mix them into the filling, the tofu takes on the flavor of the seasonings, and if you don't tell him, he won't know it's not cheese. I'm still looking for a good vegetarian cheese for the top, my son is also allergic to milk, so I use very little dairy when I cook.

I also have found several feta cheeses (goat) that I love. Some are milder, some are stronger, some are soft and smooth, others crumble, so they work well for different things. Experiment a little to find the ones you like.

Soy milk does work well to cook with, and it depends on what you're making. Mashed potatoes can be made with soy and margarine ( I add seasonings like garlic and pepper to make up for the dairy) And, I've used chicken broth.

Good Luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:54 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• If you can drink lactaid you're not allergic. Lactaid is for lactose intolerance, not milk allergy.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 9:36 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• ok I need recipes not a doctor I realize I'm intolerant. I get gassy, strong stomach cramps, nausea, and diarrhea, none of them fun.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:07 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• What about Rice, Almond or Hemp Milk?
    Anne518

Answer by Anne518 at 11:36 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Combine first 8 ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until smooth, stirring frequently (this can also be done in the microwave; use a tempered glass bowl, like pyrex, cook for 20 seconds, stir, repeat until smooth). Remove from heat. Cook pasta in boiling water 8 minutes, omitting salt and fat. Add tofu, onions, and carrot; drain. Place pasta mixture in a large bowl. Add peanut butter mixture; toss gently.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:42 PM on Sep. 21, 2009