Done breastfeeding...now what to do about the pain!

My son has been weaned off the breast and I am no longer pumping. I am obviously engorged and it is getting painful. What are methods you ladies have used to get the "girls" back to normal with as little pain as possible?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Sep. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• my sister used a swaddling blanket to bind her breasts really tight for a few days.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 10:56 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I was prone to mastitis while breastfeeding...do you think that binding will help prevent that, too? I'm going to try an ace bandage, I think, though my boy has some super comfy swaddling blankets...I might steal one. :o)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Use some of your breast pads(for the leakage) and bind your breasts with a comfy blanket over those or maybe and ace bandage if you need to. I took lots of Ibuprofin or Aleve(naproxin). Oh and using a nice warm heating pad when the pain is bad helps soooo much.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 11:25 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• DON'T BIND YOUR BREASTS!!! If you bind your breasts you have a very high chance of clogged ducts which leads to mastitis. How did you wean baby? To do this successfully you are to drop a feeding a week. This way you and baby are able to be as comfortable as possible. How about doing the 'weaning schedulte' with pumping and you could always give baby this golden juice until you feel comfortable.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I dropped one feeding every few days when I was weaning my youngest, and I still got painfully engorged after dropping the last feeding. I just put ice packs on my breasts and took lots of Motrin. I ran out of ice one time, and used a bag of frozen broccoli instead, LOL!! Try pumping just a little bit to relieve the pressure, but not enough to produce alot of milk. It took me about 4-5 days before the engorgement went away.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:54 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• When I stopped, I just pumped a little bit, to take the edge off, a few times a day. It worked really well for me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I had pain whle nursing, so I got the gerber breast therapy packs. I would cool them in the fridge then put them in my nursing bras to help releive pain. Then for engorgement, I would hand express in the shower. Just enough to relieve the pain when it got to be too much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I breastfed my daughter for almost 2 years, and when I stopped I had no pain. She naturally began to nurse less, and less, and she eventually just stopped. There was no leaking, and no pain.
    Sharde88

Answer by Sharde88 at 4:03 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• He stopped taking the breast about a month ago and I've been pumping exclusively since then, freezing the extra and mixing the breastmilk with his formula. Even with pumping I began to produce less and less milk. It got to be only 2 ounces a day then barely an ounce. It's been 2 days since I pumped and the pain is just setting in. So, actually pumping a little is what I've been doing for the past 3 weeks! Thanks for all the advice everybody.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My daughter self-weaned at 23 months; it was a natural decrease in breastfeeding and I never had any discomfort

Answer by rkoloms at 1:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2009