would anyone care to give a reason why we should wait until we are adults to be baptized?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• We baptize babies because, as parents, it is our responsibility to guide then when they are young. As they get older they can then choose their own path. If I do things right then the will choose to be confirmed in the Catholic Church. My eldest daughter was confirmed 2 years ago. My next daughter will beging preparations for confirmation in a few years. My youngest 2 are preparing for their first Holy Communion. In our church these are all done by the family and only when the child and parents feel the child is ready. Confirmation in our church happens in high school and the child and parents take on the responsibility for preparing for it. When the teenager is finished with the preparation there is no doubt in their minds that they have made the right choice. They are not forced, but have made the choice on their own. But it all started becuse the parents baptized them as infants.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:08 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• ummm my question is why should u baptize a baby. For sin??? the whole reason every living thing on this earth is here for is to reproduce and survive, deffientely not a sin. I say what the hell is the point in baptizing at all wether an adult or child!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:36 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• im a satanist so i dont believe in being baptized, but i was baptized when i was a baby. i hate that i was. not because its a bad thing, but because i didnt have the choice. as far as my son goes he will most likely never be baptized, unless he chooses to do so when he is an adult. if i remember correctly being baptized is to "wash away your sins" right? in my opinion children dont have "sins". (i dont actually believe in sins, but understand the christian concept of it).

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 11:38 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Because by then, they fully undestand the meaning of baptism. It is their choice and it show they understand and are committed to their faith.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:38 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My understanding (and bear with me, I am still learning so I might not have this right) is that baptism is a sign of accepting the new convenient. You really shouldn't do it till you are old enough to understand what you are doing. There is no way a baby can understand and agree with what he is doing. I am 28 and still not sure I understand enough to go through it and have it have its full meaning for me.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:40 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I agree with Necro about the baby being baptized thing. While I was baptized as a baby(twice), the fact doesnt bother me. I was born and raised Catholic. However, it should not be a requirement. Babies have no sins. If their is a "sin" at all, it falls on the people who conceived the child, not the child himself.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:41 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Coming from a multi-religion family I think my family was right in waiting till we were older and letting us decide, We were exposed to several different religions and the choice was ours once we reached a certain age for me it was junior high that i decided i wanted no part of the Mormon or Catholic church, That was when I really started understanding myself and my beliefs.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:50 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I believe that as a baby they have no idea whats going on. To them its just some water getting on them. However when they are older they can fully understand the meaning of it and if they actually want to get baptized. What I am going to do with my DS is a baby dedication, basically where I promise before God that I will teach him all I can. Then, when he is an adult and able to make his own decisions he will decide if he wants an adult baptism.
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 11:55 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• There is no harm in baptising a young child, they will still be ale to make their own choices when they are grown.

Answer by older at 11:57 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• As a Catholic I believe (as many do) that you don't have to conciously choose baptism in order to receive its grace. We are all born into original sin and baptism washes that away. So why wouldn't I want to do that for my child?
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:12 PM on Sep. 20, 2009