Is this really useful public transportation??

Our county bus system only runs Mon - Sat...so if you don't have a car apparently you have to walk the 3-10 miles to get to anywhere of use in suburbia-ville....

Is it me or does this seem entirely not useful??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• 3-10 miles is not much in walking, jmo
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• No busses on Sunday is an inconvience. We have runs on Sunday, but the last bus runs at 6 pm, which is still too early if you work late.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• OK, so wait, the bus runs every day but Sundays. So sunday is the only day you can't use it. It seems useful to me. Just not on Sunday.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:56 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• for a while our buses only ran on weekdays, which makes sense. Most people who use it are commuters, so they need it for the normal work week.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 12:01 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• OP
    That was the point - sorry I got distraced and skipped that...yes Sunday is the only day not running...but that means I can't go to the grocery story, park or the mall playground or the beach or anywhere really. The closest grocery is just over an hour walk. I have a 4yr old & a 2 yr old Anon #1...you try walking that far with them AND groceries!!!

Most commuters in this area have cars. Most of the people on the buses are people without any access to transportation. This is def the suburbs; most people actually have 2-4 cars...we just happen to be down to one; and my DH works 6.5 days a week....

Just sucks that we're stuck here....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• OP, hang in there, tomorrow you can get out. I just see that it's only 1 day a week you are actually stuck. I imagine that gets frustrating on Sundays, but maybe you could plan on sundays to be cleaning day or something.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 12:18 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Our buses are the same way. They run every hour on the hour Mon.-Fri., every other hour on Saturdays and not at all on Sundays. I live in a community that is separated from other cities by either back roads that are not safe to walk on with children and a freeway which you obviously aren't going to walk on. If I wanted to walk the safe route to the mall, with sidewalks, it's a 15 mile walk. It's 10 miles to everything and I don't know who think that 10 miles isn't a long walk but it is. I don't have 6 hours to waste on walking time (3 hours each way). Who DOES?

OP, is there any way you could take your husband to work on Sundays so that you could have a car or perhaps do something when he gets home from work if Sundays are his 1/2 day at work?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Yes Petie it is only one day - I just wanted to whine...

Anon - Sometimes I can take him to work but he's self employed so some days he has errands and such he needs the car for...hopefully it won't end up raining and he will take us out this afternoon...just gets sooo boring in the house and Sunday's are usually 'dead' around here! lol

The kids & I made our 'craft' mess this morning; I'm tapped out now! lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• If I were walking 3 or more miles to work,I would look like crap and I would be all sweaty and beat/. It IS too far to walk unless you are just out for a casual stroll., @@
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 1:59 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• the town i live in hardly has any sidewalks and hardly any buses. if youre lucky enough to find a bus, but miss it, you wont get another one for another hour or 2. I work five min. from my house but it takes 2 hrs by bus.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Sep. 20, 2009