Natural VS. Meds

SO, give me some details on what you think and why! Did you go for pain meds or didn't you? How did the experience of either work out for you? I got excited when participating in a conversation like this but I've vented and am ready to hear your stories! Bring it on ladies, thats what the anonymous button is for, lol.

Katrina3016

Asked by Katrina3016 at 12:02 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• im all for natural birth... pain meds can slow down your labor & it raises your chance of having a c-section...
    also it seems that when u go natural you feel better afterwards -- i was up walking around my room. taking a bath, had tons of energy after having dd, afterwards the nurses where asking if i wanted any tylenol or whatever for pain & where shocked when i said No i didnt need it at all.. most woman who get meds feels like crap are super tired, and cant walk right for days/ weeks...
    when ur med free ur body will push for u... seems like alot of woman with meds have to push for their life..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:23 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I haven't had my baby yet but I already know I want it to be as painless as possible. I'm going to try to handle it as long as I can without meds but if it gets too bad I will possibly get an epidural.

(You know I don't like the anonymous button lol)
    colesmommy2009

Answer by colesmommy2009 at 12:08 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• HAHA, yeah, I didn't expect you would! Okay, I have a question for you, why try to hold out as long as possible? Why not just get the epidural BEFORE pain starts? I've never had so I'm definitely curious about other moms who chose to get one, lol. I'm just a nosy heifer.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 12:13 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I mean't "I've never had ONE". Maybe I should have some more coffee, lol.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 12:14 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Thats a good question. I don't know. I guess i'm worried that the pushing and stuff will be more complicated if I am too heavily medicated. I am terrible with pain so i'll be going in the ER screaming for an epi when i'm not even dilated yet lol. (just kidding about that last part)
    colesmommy2009

Answer by colesmommy2009 at 12:20 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I've had an epidural birth and 2 non-medicated births. The epidural was with my first and I also had pitocin. I didn't realize how hard the pitocin would hit and I wound up hyperventilating. so, DH pretty much talked me into the epidural. With my other 2, I was at the hospital for a max of 2 hours and had the baby. With DD I was already 8 cm, so it was fairly quick. With DS2, he was born so fast that his whole body was bruised - no time to even think of anything. I went from 4 cm to baby in 2 hours. A lot of joking and laughter really was the best medicine for me.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:24 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• *add*
    i think the best thing for woman to do is to learn & research on birth. learn not to fear it so much! Pain comes from fear!!!!!! learn bradley method. and stay away from ur hospitals birthing class! They will scare the shit out of u- and i think thats what they want to do
    the more drugs they give u. the more they are in control & the more your NOT in control!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:26 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I didn't want drugs of any kind, I wanted to be fully awake, aware and ready to breastfeed with all 3 of our babies. It worked for me but may not work for others..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:47 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I was like that too! I had my son at the hospital without any pain meds. I asked for something to "knock the edge off" but it was too late. By the time they got me into the hospital bed, I was already feeling the urge to push! With my second I decided to go to a birthing center with a Midwife. This one I'm going to the birthing center also. I came home 4 hours after giving birth, did the dishes, and finished cleaning what was left behind! I was SO energized and I felt SO great! The pain after didn't really bother me that much, and it didn't last long at all!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 12:54 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• MommaTasha, you make a decent point there! I hadn't thought about it like that before.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 12:55 PM on Sep. 20, 2009