Now do you mind giving me a reason for infant baptism?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Sure there are several reasons, but mainly because baptism is more than symbolic, it actually does something:

Baptism washes away original sin (and actual sin for adults).  Original sin is the idea that "in" Adam all have sinned and parallels the doctrine of redemption that "in" Christ all are saved (see Rom 5:12-19).  As the Bible says "Surely I was born sinful, a sinner when my mother conceived me." (Psm 51:5)   Adam is the representative of the flesh. Christ is the representative of the Spirit. When we are born physically, born into the flesh, we are in Adam. When we are baptized—when we are born again, when we are born of the Spirit—we are in Christ.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 4:51 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• As a Catholic I believe (as many Catholics do) that you don't have to consciously choose baptism in order to receive its grace. We are all born into original sin and baptism washes that away. So of course I would want that for my child... right?

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:16 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Lutherans do it too. It is a way to wash away original sin and to have the parents and Godparents promise to raise the child in the Christian faith. It has nothing to do with the child choose Christianity. Confirmation is when a child chooses to be a Christian and that happens around age 13.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:31 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• it also means to admit into christianity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Many Christian denominations perform infant baptism. Infant baptism serves to mirror the sign of the Old Covenant (circumcision, which was performed on 8 day old babies who certainly didn't need to have a choice if it was to be performed at 8 days old) with the sign of the New Covenant which is Baptism. Circumcision set God's people apart from others, although the child was not old enough to believe, it grafted them into the group of God's blessed people. In the same way, my denomination (Presbyterian) believes that baptism serves to graft a child into the body of Christ. It is a solemn vow between the parents and God to raise their child according to his will, as was circumcision in the days of old. My denom does not believe that baptism saves (as some other denoms do), but rather that baptism dedicates a child to be raised in the church and instructed to love and serve God and asks God to lead the child to choose him.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:54 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• The bible does not say to baptise infants. The bible does not say baptism takes the place of circumcision. The bible says repent and be baptized. Religions that preach infant baptism change the way to be saved, and causes much confusion. Teach your child the way s/he should go. But you can't make a promise to God for your child, or for anyone else but yourself. The bible says faith comes from hearing the word. Teach your child God's word. The bible says repent and be baptized. A person will have to repent then be baptized.
    It's fear mongering to baptise infants. People rush to baptise their babies as soon as possible. But what about the baby who dies before the baptism? Read your bible. Believe on what the Word says.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Another anon thinking their way is the ONLY way and the "Right" way and all other ways are "false".
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:56 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• KristiS11384
    Another anon thinking their way is the ONLY way and the "Right" way and all other ways are "false".

Why does an atheist try to go against a bible believing Christian from speaking the truth. Hmmm, think about that one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Does bible believing equate to "Believe my way because I'm right you're wrongso only MY definition of Christian is right neener,neener, neener?"
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:01 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Funny that with so many sects of Christianity, none can agree and everyone thinks their way is the ONLY way.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:02 PM on Sep. 20, 2009