3 year old neck pain....

my son woke up this morning crying in pain complaining that his neck hurt. I tried massaging it a bit and it still hurt and he didn't want to change positions.... the slightest movement made him cry a lot! So I put a little bit of heat on it (a heated rice pillow) and some tylonel. Any other suggestions? and do you think he just slept on it wrong? I'm concerned because when I can tell it hurts him a lot!

Precious333

Asked by Precious333 at 12:08 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Health

• Is he running a fever?
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I was 4 years old and had spinal meningitis. The symptoms were- headache, fever, stiff neck. I just thought to post this, not sure if your son has a fever. It could be that he did sleep the wrong position-just watch him closely. Hopefully he just slept in the wrong position.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 12:58 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I'm pretty sure he does not have a fever... I did not check but he does not feel warm to me or to my husband. He has no other symptoms but neck pain. He's just complaining of neck pain
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:00 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• The only thing I can think of is maybe he slept the wrong way. As long as he is not running a fever, or vomiting, or complaining about anything else. I would wait a little while but if he is still complaining about it for 24 hours, then I would talk to your physician. Just to be on the safe side.Hope he feels better.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 2:30 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• ok so I took his temperature because he started to get hot and it was a mild fever 99.9, and he was complaining of his ear hurting. He has had ear infections in the past and I'm wondering if it was that. Now it seems like his fever has gone down and could possibly be gone. He still won't get up and play, but he will move his neck around to eat and drink and he did get up to potty, but that is about it. I'm going to wait and see what happens.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:33 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Here is info on meningitis...
    WHAT ARE THE MAIN SYMPTOMS OF MENINGITIS?
    Fever – will usually be high, over 103.

Severe headache – this is not a typical headache. It is extremely painful. It occurs because the infected lining of the brain gets severely inflamed.

Vomiting - the irritation in the brain triggers persistent vomiting (more than just a few times).

Neck pain and stiffness - this does NOT apply to sore throat pain in the front of the neck. It refers to severe pain in back of the neck. Looking down at your stomach (stretching the back of your neck) will cause severe pain. Some kids will refuse to even look down at all. They will keep their neck rigidly stiff. This occurs because the lining of the spinal cord is connected to the lining of the brain. When this infected and inflamed lining is stretched by looking down, it causes severe pain.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• con't

Photophobia - this means that light hurts your eyes. Meningitis will cause someone to refuse to look into light, especially the bright sunlight.

In infants, you cannot determine if they have neck stiffness because they are too young to communicate this. Severe, inconsolable irritability and/or lethargy (meaning limp, lifeless, won't open eyes to focus on you) are signs of any severe infection, including meningitis.

HOW DO I DECIDE IF MY CHILD'S SYMPTOMS MAY BE MENINGITIS? - WHEN TO WORRY (OR NOT WORRY)
    If your child has all five symptoms, don't even call or page your doctor. GO STRAIGHT TO AN EMERGENCY ROOM.

The key to meningitis is the neck pain and stiffness. So if your child has severe neck pain and stiffness, and one or more of the other four symptoms, call your doctor to be seen right away, or page the doctor after hours.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• ok thanks. I'm not sure if he has all the symptoms... he does not have a high fever, just a slight fever (about 100), severe neck pain though obviously like I said, He does not want me to lay him on his back, he is not vomiting, I don't know if he has a head ache or not. I called my doctor and she said to go to urgent care when he wakes up from his nap. So, when he wakes up I'm going to see how he is and take it from there. She said it may be a lymph node or something?
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 5:45 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I hope everything is okay. Please keep us all posted.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 8:47 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• ok so the fever is gone, he is up and playing around. He has no sensitivity to light, he can move his head to the right easily, he can move it down but to move it up or to the left hurts him. My stepmom checked his throat and said it looked a little reddish on the left side. I'm going to see how he does in the morning.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:52 AM on Sep. 21, 2009