How often are people exposed to other religions without knowing it?

The Sword's Maiden, Mother & Crone is in Guitar Hero 5. I've seen other songs pop up on GH/RB playlists that have a definite non-Christian theme, and I always wonder if the people playing them realize what they're playing. The playlist I was reading had links to you tube for each song, and even reading the comments on the video, a few people mention the goddesses, and everyone else is totally oblivious.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:16 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• People really are exposed to other religions all the time in literature & popular culture without realizing it. If you aren't looking for it, those things slip right past you like the lyrics that talk about racisim without you realizing that is what they mean.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• We are exposed to other religions ALL the time.

This is one reason why people get upset at Christmas time. There is a huge display of Christian religion for all to see.

there is a place for secular and non-secular music and events in my house.

My children know God, my children understand the difference between good and evil. There is no reason for me to flip out with the idea my kids are damned to hell because they stumbled upon something used by the pagans two thousand years agao.

That is one of the great things about America, we are diverse and can pick what we will and will not allow.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I would have to say all the time.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:50 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• how would we know if... UR ASKING HOW WE ARE EXPOSED W/O KNOWING?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

How lonely your life must be that you never interact with anyone else. Not once in your whole life have you seen someone not of your faith read/watch/listen to something of yours when they didn't realize it. Do you live in a little padded room 24/7 or do they let you out once in a while?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:13 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Anonymous
    how would we know if... UR ASKING HOW WE ARE EXPOSED W/O KNOWING?

Believe it or not but our subconscious mind picks up more than our conscious mind does. Have you ever seen a religious bumper sticker on a car? You're being exposed to religion. What about a billboard? Same thing. When you look on a calender there are often religious holidays marked on it (as well as federal). Again this registers with your subconscious mind even though you might not take note of it when you see it.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:14 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• UR ASKING HOW WE ARE EXPOSED W/O KNOWING?
    __

haha I didn't think of that but yea that makes sense how would we know what know without knowing LOL

it works against eachother like a double negative know-->without knowing hahaha I am going to tell my husband this one
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• How lonely your life must be that you never interact with anyone else. Not once in your whole life have you seen someone not of your faith read/watch/listen to something of yours when they didn't realize it. Do you live in a little padded room 24/7 or do they let you out once in a while
    __
    no need to hint that someone is mentally ill.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Im not perfect but I Try to keep anything that doesnt Glorify God out of my life and families. Meaning Yes, I do notice that stuff so it stays out of our home and life as much as possible. Books tv movies news anything.
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 3:30 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• We're exposed to other religions all the time, christianity more so than any other because that is everywhere. The other week we got a picture book about whales from the library and there was a sentence about god creating them. Not marketed as a religious book at all and the rest of the book was pretty much factual with a little poetic license but it was there. Last week I was reading a blog post about the age girls lose their virginity and the comments rapidly went from on topic to discussing christianity which then turned to Islam hating because there's one poster who just has to do that on every post which of course means someone has to defend Islam.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:17 PM on Sep. 20, 2009