My son has a HUGE bump on his head.

He is almost 4yrs old and was up stairs playing. I was down stairs talking to my husband on the computer (he's deployed). All of a sudden i heard screaming! i ran upstairs and he has a huge bump on his head. ...literally probably the size and shape of a large chicken egg. I picked him up and carried him downstairs. grabbed some ice and held it to his head. Let him calm down a little. looked at his eyes. even checked his eyes using a flashlight. it's been over twenty minutes now and he's back to normal. walking, talking, playing. seems perfectly fine ...it will be nap time in about 2 hours. ...should i let him take his nap or should i keep him up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I'd let him nap, because if you don't you won't know if his crabbiness/tiredness is a symptom or just needing the nap. I'd wake him up after 45min-1 hour, make sure he wakes up enough to be alert and let him go back to sleep for a while if he wants to. Does that make sense?
    I learned if the bump comes out it's safer than if you can't see a bump, because it means the pressure came out and is not pressing inwards on the brain (in general).
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 1:43 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Oh. and i'm first aid and infant CPR certified.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• if in two hours u see signs of anything wrong then no u wouldnt want to give him a nap u would want to take him to the ER
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• yes anon. i am well aware of that. ...but if he continues to display normal behavior is it okay to let him nap? or should i keep him awake?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Sep. 20, 2009