Have you become your toddler's slave?

I understand that as a parent you must give some "rights" to your toddler but when the toddler gets to choose what to eat, when to eat, and where to eat then you will gather that mom is doing something wrong.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I let my children pick from healthy choices. "would you like a banana, or an apple?" "pb&j for lunch, or would you rather have a tuna fish sandwich?" etc etc. That way i still have some control and they too feel like they have some control. But i NEVER let my children choose WHEN they can eat. ...eating habits are more then just teaching your children what to eat, it's just as important to teach them when to eat. ...a 2am snack ...no matter how healthy, is not a good eating habit.
    And i dont let my children choose where we eat either. We sit at the table. We eat as a family. They are not allowed up from the table until they are full. ...and ya know what? They LOVE that family time together.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:37 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Depends on their lifestyle. My son decided when to eat for breakfast and snacks. And usually what to eat for those. Sometimes lunch too, but dinner is when I make it, and what I make. DS just started school and is doing ok with the school routine, they give him breakfast, snack and lunch. He can choose how much he wants to eat of what is offered. We are not on a strict routine because of Hubbys work schedule so it makes sense to feed him when he is hungry. I keep a variety of foods on hand and since he isnt screaming for chips and candy all the time, I am not worried about it. (apples, dear god, the apples he eats...)
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:38 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• umm outstanding, I am not trying to pick a fight, but why is a 2 am snack bad? I agree if it is EVERY night there might be a problem, but occasionally?
    and more specifically, my son gets huge growth spurts (we are a tall clan, it happens) if he is in the middle of one of those, going from dinner at 7pm till breakfast at 8 in the morning is just too much for him. I put a few crackers or apple slices in his room for him to eat in the middle of the night when he starts that.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:43 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• you can give your toddler a choice of things to eat but for most part let them choose from healthy foods. like fruit . just cut them up in little pieces for ( him/her .) raw veggies with peanutbutter as their dip. and other times you can give them cookies and puddings. don't forget to cut the veggies in to small size sticks. and for as where to eat it . you tell your child where you want (him or her) to eat it . or else he\she can't have it. And as for when. every thing has it's time . snacks can be eatten at 11:30am 3:00pm. and two hours before bed time. cerial applesauce yogart. are other food that might be good for him to eat.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 2:27 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• There's a difference between giving your child choices and catering to their every want and wish.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• We give our children choices between healthy options that WE have chosen.
    Our children eat lightly throughout the day whenever they feel they need to eat.
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 4:15 PM on Sep. 20, 2009