Sick 15 month old..Took her to the dr.. is her dr wrong about this

My 15month old daughter has been throwing up repeatedly and having diarrhea and coughing for over a week now...she went to the dr last week and he didnt give her medicine and just said to let it run its course ...do you think thats what i should do or do you think the drs wrong

MiasMommy6908

Asked by MiasMommy6908 at 1:39 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if you see signs of dehydration get a second opinion.
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 1:40 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My personal opinion is that he should have given her some meds. But, I'm not a doctor. Get some pedialite since vomitting and diarrhea can cause dehydration. You could always take her elsewhere and get a 2nd opinion too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• my doctor has said that before and it drove me nuts! but looking back its probably better to let it run its course than to try and over medicate it. How long ago did she see the doctor? My doctor always says if it hasn't cleared up in x days call me back. I would be worried about dehydration now too.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 2:07 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Medicating people for viruses is what has created the super bug MRSA. Your kid isn't a candidate for medication. If it is a virus, medication won't do a damn thing. Take you doctors advice and let it run it's course. make sure to keep her hydrated with Pedialite or Gatorade.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Those can also be a sign of teething. Severe pain while teething can cause the body to react that way. I would just keep ur doctor's advice. Keep her warm, hot bathe. Lots of fluids. Take care n best of luck. Hope she will be better soon
    ~hugs~
    BuzyMamma

Answer by BuzyMamma at 3:08 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Um, what do you think the doctor should have given you?? There is no medications to give for a virus. You can't give an antibiotic, and it would likely only make things worse (antibiotics tend to cause diarrhea) And she is too young to take other medication that adults can take to help with diarrhea and upset stomach.
    Keep you child hydrated as best you can, start probiotics (try yogurt) limit other dairy products, don't give anything high in sugar like fruit juices, stick to a high starch bland diet
    Diarrhea can last for 2 weeks... not much you can do about it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:09 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Doctors don't like to medicate young children unnecessarily. Thank God. Viruses will run their course. In the meanwhile, keep your child dehydrated.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• He's probably right And with so many medicines taken off the market for infants and toddlers, there's probably nothing OTC you can use anyway. However, if it continues take him back. A virus will typically run its course in 1-2 weeks. So if it lasts longer than that, then it may need medicines.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• There isn't much you can do for a virus. A virus has to run it's course.

Just follow his directions on treating the vomiting and bulking up the diarrhea after she can finally eat something, watch for dehydration.

And if you can't trust your doctor, I suggest you find a new one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• He's right that a virus has to run it's course. Really, what medicine could he give if there's no sign of an infection? Medication isn't a fix-all, and as parents we all hate that! Lol. Kids can hang on to a bug for over 10 days. Even after that a dr may be hesitant to do anything to drastic. Do what you have been doing and look for signs of dehydration. Stick with the BRAT diet and try pedialyte to get her energy up so that her immune system is able to fight it.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 4:39 PM on Sep. 20, 2009