Why do some us don't have a close relationship with our parents?

Do you see your little one all grown up and suddenly one day he/she stop returning your calls?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have a close relationship with my son. However as my best friend says I "was dealt a shitty hand when it comes to parents".
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 1:54 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• no my kids and i have a close relationship THANK GOD!! now my mother and i really don't but now that she has been real sick i'm trying to forgive her for all the stuff she has done to me while growing up. my dad and i do have a great relationship. he has always been there for me no matter what.
    okc-mom-2

Answer by okc-mom-2 at 1:52 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Personally, my mother is extremely toxic to me and was abusive growing up. That's why I don't speak with her. I parent differently than she did. My kids know that I love them because I show them, daily. I let them be their own people. Perhaps one day they won't return phone calls. My job is to guide them into adulthood and make sure they are confident adults that make their own decisions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I have actually made an effort to distance myself from my mother. She is not good for me, constantly puts me down in an effort to "help" me, and tells me that I am oversensitive after she has just spent an hour bashing me. ("you need to just pull yourself up, you don't need the crunch of anti-depressants, its all in your head, your afraid to live" and then "oh don't get upset, your just oversensitive you need to grow up!") Also, both my parents drink heavy so I don't call after 5 pm most nights even if I want to talk to them.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 2:02 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• No, not at all. My mother and I would really rather never speak again. But because of my kids and other family, we tend to talk a good bit. She is a very controling and rigid person, and the fact that I will not allow her to control every choice I make has driven a huge wedge between us since I was 6 or 7. My children and I are different. I don't try to control them, I see no point. I am supportive of their choices but will always let them make up their own minds. I think there is a huge difference between the relationship I have with my mother and the one I have with my kids... I love my kids... That in itself is a huge difference.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:02 PM on Sep. 20, 2009