Is this normal, or should I be concerned? (Potty Training...A little TMI)

My son is 2 1/2 and I am trying to Potty train him but it's proving to be impossible, espessally in the poop dept. He NEVER (I Mean NEVER) has a solid Poop, it is always soft squishy and runny. I never thought much of it but I am thinking as of now since he eats regular food, should he not have regular solid poops? He usually goes about 4 times a day, Is this also normal? My oldest didn't have these problems. What do you guy think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would call his ped and ask. That seems like a lot to me. My son has soft poop, but when he goes in the potty it looks normal, it just gets squished in the diaper or pull-up.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:56 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My bet would be the problem is just diet related. perhaps he eats a lot of fruits/juices? Check with your doctor but also try adding foods for bulk (breads, rice, banana) and see if that helps. Just add a little at a time or you'll have the oppostie problem!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 3:09 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• It does sound like there could be a problem. Bring it up with his pedi. It could be diet or allergies. A cowork recently found out her daughter has a wheat allergy and has had diarrhea for about a month now. So they did some tests to get to the bottom of it. It could be as simple as he's drinking too much and not eating enough solids and thus has softer stools, but I really don't know. Pedi is the best one to ask. Hopefully you get some good ideas here and have some good question for your next appointment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Sep. 20, 2009