sick and stubborn dad....

My dad is an alchoholic with high bp and diabetes. He is drinking himself to death. He aslo built this redicuolously large house out on our family land in GA that he is having a hard time paying for (mainly due to budgeting). I just moved from Va to FL 1 month ago and a big part of why is to be close to him and be able to visit, and get to him during the many medical emergencies he has. He is digging himself in a worse and worse hole medically and finantially and Im going nuts!!! I want nothing more to help, and he wants nothing more than to do it all himself. He is now totaly incontenent too. I am a single mom of a 6 yr old boy with no help. Anyone been there? Any advice to keep me from loosing my mind!?!?

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 1:52 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Health

• I wish I could give you some great information. My mom had a nice enough boyfriend but he too was an alcoholic and he never stopped until he found out he had Cancer and passed away shortly after. I'm sure the drinking compromised his body. How are the rest of the family approaching this?
    Unfortunately, you can't change an alcoholic. No one can except that person themselves. Until they hit bottom, thats not going to help. Have you have told him of your concerns? If not you should sit down sometime and find out his feelings. I'm sure,if he has been told by Dr.s his drinking will kill him so he knows there is that chance. How much he believes it is another thing.
    maybe yo could get him to try and sell the house. I'd hate for the family to lose it. Maybe you could see if he would get some kind of financial counseling to deal with that problem.
    I wish you the best of luck. It's hard to watch our parents in trouble.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:16 PM on Sep. 20, 2009