Question?

Can I ask what do all you mommies think how long should your kids play video games and t.v i let me kids watch t.v for an 1hr as well video games and when i ask them time is up and there replay is well i have an 1hr to go beacuse I already watch t.v for an 1hr and I told him ill pass these time but that the rules were gonna have to change. So what is it should I join the t.v ad video game for an hr for an 1hr each?

D.RAMIREZ

Asked by D.RAMIREZ at 1:59 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• For us it varies, if i see they are doing nothing but watching TV then i will shut it off, if they watch 30 minutes then go play outside or go build legos then i am willing to let them watch another show later in the day. Video games there is a 1 hour limit and normally my kids only play about 30-45 minutes. I find that if we break up the tv time it works better, I dont count the time when we watch a movie as a family or if we turn on the NASA, Discovery, etc channels normally hubby and i are watching with them and use those as times to talk about the different subjects. I think we are stricter about computer time then TV.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:04 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I used to give my boys an hour of tv time & an hour of video game time each day. On weekends I gave them 2 hours of video game time. Then I changed it because they'd complain they weren't done. I bought a roll of carnival tickets at Wal-Mart for a couple of dollars, & at the beginning of the week, I gave them a ticket for every 30 min. of video game time that they had for the week. They could save up the tickets (only to be used after homework was done) or use them all at once, but if they didn't have any tickets they couldn't play. They learned to ration their time.

At 1 point I started letting them earn extra tickets. If they got good grades at school I'd give them an extra coupon or 2, or if I caught them doing something good at home, like taking out the trash just because they saw it was full, not because I made them. Or for spending time playing outside getting exercise on nice days.

It worked well for us for years
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:46 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Honestly, our TV is on all the time. It's actually just background noise, though. The boys are outside playing, in their rooms playing, etc when they're not in school.

Video games are limited to one hour a day if they have behaved properly.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:41 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• It varies so much in our house. There are plenty of days that the TV doesn't go on at all. Other days the boy might watch half an hour of PBS over breakfast. Other days it might be raining or he might be sick or I might just be very busy and need to keep him out from under my feet and he might spend half the day watching a movie then playing some games then watching some PBS. He didn't watch any TV at all this weekend for example but he watched about 2 hours on Friday because I was very busy that afternoon.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:42 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• The TV is on all day, as back ground noise, and they rarely actually look at it. They have to have all chores done, all their homework done and good behavior for the day before they can watch a movie, play on the computer (their computer has no internet access), or play video games, and then their time limit depends on what day it is (they get more time on the weekends), and how well they've behaved.
    My daughter couldn't care less, but my son is ADDICTED to "his" computer, so time limits are strictly enforced, otherwise, he'd never get off it. (We tested him one weekend, and he spent from 7 AM to 9 PM on the computer, only stopping to eat or hit the bathroom for 2 days in a row, and still complained when we told him to get off.)
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 7:49 PM on Sep. 21, 2009