Advice on getting my daughter to eat food on her own.

My daughter is a little over 9 months, and her doctors say that she should be grabbing food and putting it in her mouth to eat. She will take food from a spoon and from my hands just not her own. She has no problem grabbing the food but then she just plays with it in her hands. I have tried everything, from trying to eat her to mimic me, from trying to put her in her hand and put it towards her mouth. I wasn't sure if there is some trick to this or if I am forcing something I should. Any advice is appreciated thank you.

Isabelle_121608

Asked by Isabelle_121608 at 3:08 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• put the food on her tray, and walk away. (does she bring other things to her mouth?) if she is bringing things other than food to her mouth, if you just walk away (go to the other room so you are out of sight but can see her) she may just go ahead and do it on her own w/o waiting for you. my daughter refused to hold a bottle for me but when anyone else held her to feed her she would snap it out of their hands. she was 7 months old! i got fed up with the situation, put her on the ground and the bottle next to her, opened the blinds and walked outside, she sat there for a few mins looking around, finally picked it up and fed herself. she just needed me to not be there to do it for her to have the push to do it herself.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:12 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My firstborn was slow to feed himself. He had no interest. Personally I don't think it is that big a deal. He feeds himself now! :-) My other two couldn't wait to do it themselves. They were grabbing stuff out of my hands at 7 and 8 months. Lol!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:32 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Give her time. She'll eat it when she's ready.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:17 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Mine really didn't start to self feed until about 11 mos. She is almost 15 mos and self feeds minimum of 2 meals a day. Daddy still feeds her breakfast. She is also able to use a spoon and get the food to her mouth. Just be patient. If she can put toys in her mouth then she can obviously put food in her mouth. When she plays with the food she is exploring. Let her be. She will do it when she is ready.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:18 PM on Sep. 20, 2009