Brita or Nursery Water for a nine month old?

Hi ladies,

Just a quick question: when is it ok to make the transition from nursery water to Brita? My son is almost 9 months now and whenever I can't find the nursery water, I just buy Poland Spring. So, the way I figure it is that PS can't be THAT much better than tap water and I am puryifing the tap, so..... Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Liz

eeconomo

Asked by eeconomo at 3:37 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ive only used tap and they are all are fine
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• You want your baby to get water with flouride. Make sure whatever water you use has flouride and if you use a filter that flouride won't be filtered out. Flouride helps teeth form properly so there are less cavities.

Flouride is something that is in some water naturally. Scientists a long time ago figured out some cities or states had more cavities in kid than others. They found out it was because some water had the flouride and started putting flouride in water that didn't have enough. Cavity rates in kids dropped markedly.

It's important that babies get water with flouride as young as possible.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 3:43 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I just used tap water the entire time, UNLESS I was visiting my parents, who have well water. Then I just bought store brand bottled water.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 4:04 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I always used filtered tap with all of mine. Nursery water is just a way for the company to get your money. You're fine to switch.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• i just you bottled water. With DD we used Nursery water and it got so expensive. With the twins we go through 2x the amount of water so i just do the refillable culagin water. Their pedi saud it was fine
    katelynsmom22

Answer by katelynsmom22 at 4:34 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I only used tap water with my kids, the whole time.

Answer by missanc at 4:48 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• before giving your baby flouride, go to flouridealert.org and do some reading. Too much is very harmful and some doctors do not recommend it.
    Kristin216

Answer by Kristin216 at 5:48 PM on Sep. 20, 2009