What can I add to baked ziti?

Besides hamburg, what can I add for more flavor or something? I don't add anything and I use the basic recipe from kraftfoods.com and actually it seeems to make alot, can I use half of what it calls for and freeze the ricotta cheese
this is the recipe...
1 pkg. (16 oz.) ziti pasta
1 jar (26 oz.) spaghetti sauce
1 container (15 oz.) POLLY-O Original Ricotta Cheese
1 pkg. (8 oz.) POLLY-O Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, divided
1/4 cup KRAFT Grated Parmesan Cheese

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Food & Drink

• * 1 pound dry ziti pasta
    * 1 onion, chopped
    * 1 pound lean ground beef
    * 2 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce
    * 6 ounces provolone cheese, sliced
    * 1 1/2 cups sour cream
    * 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
    * 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

that is what i use for mine
    tammyjj

Answer by tammyjj at 3:56 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• If you want to kick it up, I'd saute some fresh onions, basil, garlic, maybe mushrooms, then add the meat & brown it (I use half ground beef & half Italian sausage, then add the spaghetti sauce, & let simmer. If you simmer it for at least a couple of hours ( I start mine in the morning) the meat will be tender & the sauce will have more flavor.

Sometimes I saute either fresh spinach , or frozen spinach defrosted & squeezed dry, garlic & mushrooms, & blend it into the ricotta. Chopped broccoli works too, & you don't have to saute it first. If you add an egg to the ricotta, it gives it more stability & a really nice texture in your dish.

The best thing about cooking is that as you build your confidence, you can experiment & build your skills!!

If it makes too much for your family, why not make it put half in a pan to bake now, and half in a foil pan unbaked and freeze it for a day when you don't want to cook?
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:11 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Try making it with sausage...makes it a little spicier!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 4:30 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I was going to suggest Italian Sausage too ... kick it up a notch!
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:43 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• You could do like a primavera baked ziti and if you want some meat, add chicken. For the primavera, Some onions, garlic, peppers, mushrooms, carrots and zucchini, sautee that. Mix in some marianra sauce, some cooked, diced chicken breast and your cooked ziti. Toss it all together, spread in a dish, top with cheese and bake til bubbly. One of my favorites!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 4:57 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I add peppers and muchrooms
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:31 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Chopped green peppers, onions, Italian sausage. Mushrooms, if you like them. Zucchini.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:16 PM on Sep. 21, 2009