Chicago Scientist Dies from Plague!

A University of Chicago scientist has died from what is believed to be a rare plague like virus.

Officials with the university are tracking down anybody who they feel may have come into close contact with the scientist, whose identity is being withheld.

The last outbreak of plague in the United States was in Los Angeles back in 1924/25

Scary or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• if this is for real, were screwed people.......the virus could be anywhere now....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 4:04 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• http://www.dbtechno.com/health/2009/09/20/chicago-scientist-dies-from-bacteria-causing-plague/

The CBS link wont come up so just google it.
    OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Plague isn't as uncommon as people think. Every other year or so someone here in NM dies, or comes really close, from it. Tourists come here on vacation, contract the virus, go home and die because when they get home Drs don't recognize it. Big outbreaks may not happen, but it's definately still around and killing people.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 4:08 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I think before we all start freaking out, it's important to note that the researcher that died was actively WORKING with this bacterial strain, when he contracted the plague.  It will likely be contained, and dealt with, as they know the identify of this person, and through lab and hospital records will be able to "backtrack" to quarantine all persons who may have come into contact with this person in the weeks around his contracting this illness.

http://news.uchicago.edu/news.php?asset_id=1711

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:09 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• There are always a few plague deaths every year out here in the SW. It's not that uncommon. Worldwide, I think there is an average of 1000 deaths a year. Good reason to keep the mouse and rat population down in your area.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:31 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• That's really interesting that people die from the plague in the SW, you guys. I had no idea, hmm.

And as for it breaking out and causing a Resident Evil-like zombie apocalypse...my answer is BRING IT AWN.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:02 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• And as for it breaking out and causing a Resident Evil-like zombie apocalypse...my answer is BRING IT AWN.
    ______
    LOL! Love it!
    I wanted to let everyone know I am NOT condoning mass panic! I just have not heard of it here, and thought it was really scary that he was working with this stuff (meaning he should be taking the right precautions) not to catch it or release it among the public. I meant that it was scary knowing this person qualified to handle such a virus exposed himself.
    OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I won't be worried unless I start dreaming about Russell flagg
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:04 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• If it's a virus then it isn't the plague
    ddbz

Answer by ddbz at 6:16 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• 'Kay, read the link, looks like someone wasn't using competent aseptic techniques.
    ddbz

Answer by ddbz at 6:19 PM on Sep. 20, 2009