How do I know my baby is ready to go out in public without diapers?

Well, I would go as far as to say she is 100% potty trained, but I am still nervous about having her out in public without diapers. She hasnt had one accident in almost 2 weeks when we started potty training actively. She doesnt pee in her bed at night or during nap times. But at what point do we go out without diapers? I am scared she wont be able to hold on (just in case theres no restrooms close by) until we find a restroom.

How did you guys know when your child was ready?

umukof

Asked by umukof at 4:16 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (-19 Credits)
  • You don't really ever "know". It sounds like she's ready and if you don't do it now how much longer are you going to wait? The thing with going out in public is she may forget, or she may be too distracted, or she might not realize that most places have toilets and all she has to do is ask.
    All i can say is take her out. Try it! make sure you have extra clothes in case she does have an accident and be sure to remind her that if she needs to go pee she needs to tell you. But that's all you can do. GL
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• well i just gave it a shot. at the most she had an accident and we cleaned her up and went about our business. she so far has yet to have one in a public setting, in a friends home or grandmas home yes but not a store or anything like that. or even in the car, if she says she has to go, stop at a fast food place or somewhere you know has a restroom as soon as possible and make a run for it. take a change of clothes or two with you, and a few pull ups just in case you determine shes really not ready, but have them only be for when you are out. don't let her carry around a drink or have one in the car, that way you're not asking for an accident to happen. and while you are running your errands remember to ask her in every place if she needs to go, treat it like you are potty training all over again, b/c she has to get used to going out of the house now that shes used to going at home, make sense?
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:23 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Can you take a portable potty with you just in case she needs to go? Just keep it in your car & pull over if you need to. I also packed an extra outfit just in case my son didn't make it in time. It happened a time or two but after that it was a success. They get the "idea" how things are going to work when your out & finally get the hang of things. You may also want to bring a towl & just put it in your child's car seat & if she goes, it wont get anything else wet or stain later. If you have to change her, she will be good as new. Also, Don't forget a bag to put items in...Just in case! Best wishes!

onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 4:25 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• You just have to go for it and be sure and bring a change of clothes - just in case. You can also buy cloth training pants that have an outer lining of plastic. She could wear those when you go out.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:25 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Wow! You have a baby potty trained?! I've never seen a baby who could get to the potty themselves! She must be very advanced!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Trial and error. You never really know if your kid is going to have an accident. Just make sure to bring a change of clothes and keep a look out for the signs. The more you take them out, the more they know how to react in the situation.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 4:28 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• anon 25
    take your trolling somewhere else.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:30 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• What trolling? She said she has a baby potty trained! I find that astounding!! She should share how she did it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• its more of a hit and miss. Does she regularly ask to go potty? That's when I started taking mine out. And we ask her to use the potty before we leave. If she goes It's a good hour or two before we have to actively ask.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 5:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I agree stop it anon. My 3 yo I call my baby when I talk with people. She's my youngest so hence the baby.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 5:22 PM on Sep. 20, 2009