reflux, food allergy, or teething???

Hi all.....My LO is 8 months old and has been spitting up ALOT more often lately - A couple times a day mostly about an hour or so after eating. He has never had this much trouble with spitting up - seems strange that it set in all of sudden. He has been eating solids since around 5months and we haven't had any problems yet. The only diet changes I can think of is the addition of more formula. (I'm back to work, and not pumping as much as I used too.) I can tell the relfux is causing him some distress and he typically makes a grimace. He also had some clear mucous in his stool this morning. I'm going to put a call in to my pedi tomorrow, but could this be from teething? My pool little guy cut his first two teeth about three weeks ago -since then four more have cut through.

jboyum

Asked by jboyum at 4:29 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could be the formula. You could try only breastfeeding (no solids) when you are with him and have the person who cares for him feed him solids and any milk you pump while you are at work.
    He should change his nursing patterns and nurse more when you are around to make up for when you are at work.

Since he has so many teeth he should be able to eat regular food. A good site for starting solids is www.kellylmom.com
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 4:34 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Not sure which one it is, but my 4 mo old has acute reflux. We found out it was actually a formula allergy. Doctors said "DO NOT switch formula, just keep using perscription drugs". After 3 mo of watching her in such pain I tried Alimentum. 90% less spit up, no crying, no pain. This site has amazing products and info for Acid Reflux babies - http://www.pollywogbaby.com/refluxandcolic/remedies.html
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 6:13 PM on Sep. 20, 2009