Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

COMPLICATED custody question

when i had my daughter i was young... I had a lot of issues and was on alot of unneeded medications because my mom is a nutcase and wanted me to be all drugged up all the time....she called children services on me and lied and all of this eventually ended in me signing custody of my daughter over to its been almost a year and i moved out and am getting married i want custody of my daughter back...if i put my daughters father on the birth certificate does he than have custody of her?

Answer Question

Asked by pinkpoptarts27 at 4:40 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • No. His name should've been on the certificate at birth...then he would've had to sign over his rights at the same time you did for your mother to have gained custody.

    At this point, whether you say he's the father or not, HE would need to go on the offense and petition for a DNA test to prove she's his child. Once that is established, he'd have to hire an attorney and try to regain custody... which would probably drag out for years & years (I'm sure you've heard all the adoption horror stories? yeah... same thing, basically)

    Answer by Laura1229 at 4:48 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

  • He'd have to go to court to get custody turned back to him as birth father (taking a paternity test, I'm sure). It sounds like you need a good lawyer.

    Answer by kjrn79 at 4:50 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

  • You need to talk to a lawyer!!!!!!!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.