Anyone else bothered by this?

When someone who doesn't have kids gives you advice based on "what their mother did with their sisters" etc. Or when people with younger children than you try to give you advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• Nope. Doesn't bother me. Maybe i'm just an odd ball.
    What DOES bother me is when someone tries to give me advice on something that i dont think is an issue. Or if they try to justify a certain kind of advice that i already stated i am against. I dont mind that we all have different views. That's fine. But don't try to talk ME into raising MY kids the way YOU want when i already said i dont agree.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:48 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Not really any insite can help. It doesn't mean I always take it serious or use the advice but I listen. I think most is out of good intentions, most people only know what they experience so that is how they relate. Now if it was someone who thought they were all "high and mighty" and tried to force the advice on me like it was the only way to handle the situation then I might be bothered.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 4:50 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• It depends who it is. My single, childless friends sometimes try to give parenting advice and I just kind of laugh or nod a smile politely and think just wait. When any other moms (young or old), try to give me advice when I didn't ask for it, then I get annoyed.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 4:50 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My DD is only four months old, so I don't give advice to anyone; that's not my place. But if someone asks my opinion, I'll give it. Like the other day, here on CM there was a question about if your kid wants their nose/belly button/ears/eyebrow pierced would you let them do it, and I said that yes, when my daughter is 16 I would let her do it because I'm a very laid back person and they're just piercings. But I would never try to tell someone what to do with their kids.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 4:50 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• If it is something that I didn't think of that might help why wouldn't I take the advice. Being a good parent means making the best decisions for your child. If someone said something worked for them when they were little and it sounds like it would work for my son I don't care whether they have kids or not.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 4:56 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I would rather get 'heres what my mom did' advice from a young mom or someone without children than 'this is the ONLY way or you are a bad mother' lecture from someone with 10 kids and 25 grandkids!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 5:01 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I don't give advice unless they ask me. We are all participating in this great experiment called parenting. My way works for my kids. I will tell you my successes and failures if you are interested, but I don't tell people how to do it "right". I don't want someone telling me I am too strict, too lenient, too easy, too tough, or anything else. If they aren't careful, they will find themselves with a kid to raise. If you think you can do it better, here, take him, raise him yourself. Oh, no!? Then, shut up!

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:50 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I'm "iffy" about it, lol. I don't mind advice, sometimes. Other times I'm like "wow your full of it", lol. I think the same applies for moms with younger children though. I always end up with moms who have older children trying to tell me how to raise mine! It's either that or someone who doesn't even have kids and thinks they know it all. I do like LISTENING to other peoples experience with children but to be told the "right" way to do it is irritating regardless of who it's coming from. To each their own.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 9:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2009