What is your opinion of putting a TV in a child's room?

I'm not too keen on the idea. I had a TV in my room from age 5 on and I have a lot of sleep issues as an adult. I couldn't fall asleep without it on as a teenager : /

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 5:04 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• my husband can't sleep w/o the tv on, drives me insane b/c i sit up waiting for him to pass out so i can turn it off, not only can i not sleep w/all that darn light, but its a waste of elec. as for my dd having a tv, not until shes older, right now shes 3, if shes in her room she should be asleep or playing not watching tv. she can watch tv in my room or downstairs if she wants to watch tv. was thinking about hooking one up just to a dvd player for her, but there really isn't a point when there are 2 other tvs in the house hooked up to dvd players and cable.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:06 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My girls have one in their room, but we controle when it is used. They don't have cable and it is only one when we allow it. The T.V isn't the problem it is parents who don't control the use of the T.V
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:07 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Yeah, great point. I had cable in my room when I was about 12, then all I did was sit on the computer in my room with the TV on. No wonder I have weight issues, gah!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:08 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I personally disagree with it. And in MOST cases feel like it is due to lazy parenting. the way teamquinn handles it in her family sounds not too bad. But from what i have seen, most families don't regulate their children's TV at all.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:10 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Idk, my lil girl has one in her room..she'll be 2.
    Same with my 7 week old.

I see nothing wrong with it IMO.
    kerri-

Answer by kerri- at 5:10 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• It's something I do not want to ever do. I also dont' want computers in the rooms either. I want to monitor all the TV and computer access my kids have.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 5:14 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Lazy Parenting? Eh. My kids (ages 15 and 10) have a TV in their shared bedroom. We have no cable up there ..just a DVD player. They get to watch a movie at night for an hour. I don't ever recall a time where one of them wanted to go upstairs and watch a movie. If they want to watch TV they can do it in the living room. They are more into their music and reading than anything!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I think it's basically a cop out on the parents part, and an excuse to not give them a proper bedtime routine.
    And like you said, can lead to bad sleeping habits.

Me and my 4 siblings were read to sleep every night by our parents until we reached the age where we could read ourselves to sleep (around 6 years old). I have very fond memories of it. When I look back on my childhood I don't remember the TV, thankfully. I'd like the same for my daughter.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:15 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I think it is ridiculous!! It builds poor sleep habits, tv isn't the best way to spend their time, and it encourages them to stay in their room away from the rest of the family. But then I grew up without a tv!! Our kids certainly won't have one in their rooms!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:15 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I personally wouldn't call it "lazy" parenting, but I can see how some might see it as that. There have been studies that putting TVs in bedrooms aren't conducive to healthy sleep habits. Plus it runs the power bill way up if it's unmonitored. And sometimes you don't know what your kid is watching. If they have all satellite channels, for instance, they could watch porn on Cinemax at 11:30 PM.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:18 PM on Sep. 20, 2009