i think i have a cloged milk duct...

So i woke up very engorged this morning and now the inner part of my right boob hurts like hell! I have nursed on that side first all day and I just pumped it but it still hurts. What should I do?? Ice it?? Heating pad? HELP!! Im in pain!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Heat will help and keep nursing on that side in spite of the pain. It will eventually work its way out. When I couldn't take the pain from nursing, I would pump, then switch back to nursing. Also, I usually try to express that spot while in a hot shower. Usually that is where I have cleared a clogged duct. My first born was a tough sucker and he always took care of them for me, but not the other two! Hang in there. That is SO painful.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:11 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I would keep doing what you are, take a warm shower. Try putting a hot pad on if it feels good. But when ever I have had a deep clot, I get the pump and keep it on till it comes loose, move the pump around until you feel a tug or find more milk. You might try different position with your baby to see if your little one can get it better. Also massaging the breast might help.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 5:13 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I have heard a lot of people say that they massaged it out, basically pressing under that spot and pushing up to the nipple expressing milk until it came out. Some of the stories I've heard sounded quite horrible with pussy type stuff coming out. I hope you are able to get it worked out! Hot shower and hot pads are other solutions I've heard.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 5:26 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I will say the same thing, the best thing (for me anyway) when I was engourged was to take a pretty hot shower and litterly push out the milk. Find the duct while the water is hitting your breast and start at the top of the duct and push down with as much force as you can to the end of the duct at the nipple, repeat untill you feel that it's not clogged anymore. At first you may not see any milk but soon you will start to see and feel the milk shooting from the engourged duct. If you do have puss coming out, that not just engourged that's infected and that's a whole other can of apples. For me it would take a good 15-20 strokes. Then when I got out of the shower I would immediatly nurse.
    smilinghug

Answer by smilinghug at 5:47 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Ouch, I feel your pain. My doc made me massage it out. Pressure on the duct and rub the clot down towards your nipple. My cousin swares by cabbage leaves. wet cabbage leaves. idk, but if nothing else, its worth a try =/
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 6:19 PM on Sep. 20, 2009