Hitting.

My 14 month old boy has taken to hitting himself on the head and face, and slamming his head on the floor. He does it all the time, even when he's not mad or upset, but it is more violent when he is. He is not ever hit by anyone, and I can't even think of where he may have seen anyone do this to themselves. Does anyone else have experience with this? How do I get it to stop?

Rebecca7708

Asked by Rebecca7708 at 5:08 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ...that (to me) sounds like a sensory issue. Does he talk? Give eye contact? Is he a picky eater? does he purposely fall down or bump into people? Does he hate being touched?
    If he has a sensory issue the way you would handle it would be different if he is a typical child.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:12 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• if he's hurting himself find a way to restrain him. he may not have a way to express how he feels otherwise, so try to teach him how to say he's upset, or somehow show he is upset w/o becoming violent. my younger brother did this when he was toddler and preschool age. hes fine now and has no delays or anything like that (hes 16 now). mention it to your son's doctor, there may be other signs that point towards something, but its probably him trying to express something and not knowing how. so when he's angry and starts to hit himself, grab his hands and tell him that he is mad (or whatever emotion it is he has) and that when he's mad he can....(yell into a pillow, kick a ball outside, etc..)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:12 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• i would agree with vabchmommy IF you wouldn't have said that he does it even when he is not upset. If he does this ...just because ...then there is probably a different issue going on.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:16 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• He doesn't have any of those other issues outstandinglove.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 5:30 PM on Sep. 20, 2009