Restricting your child...

My husband thinks it's ok to put our 4 year old son on restriction. As in..no toys, to tv, no internet, etc. He wants to put him in his room for an entire weekend to punish him. Now our son knows how to play us, but I don't think that punishing him like this is the way to go. How old is old enough to do this to your child?

Thanks moms!

Leslie03

Asked by Leslie03 at 5:17 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would probably NOT do that for the entire weekend. Maybe for a full day. But not the entire weekend. And (depending on why the discipline is being enforced) i might let him out of his room after one full day but he wouldn't be allowed to watch TV or get on the computer. ...it would just be him and his toys.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:19 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• No 4 year old should have internet access anyway.

Just ban TV for the weekend, it's cruel to take away toys - and downright neglectful to lock him in his room.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• It depends on why he's lost his priviledges. My kids lose priviledges all the time as a punishment. (youngest is 2)

If the infraction was severe enough, if it's been building for a while and this is not the first time, if he has been playing you, then hell yeah.

Stop letting him play you guys and it won't come to this again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Anonymous...let me clarify the internet. Our computer is in our living room and motored by us. He normally watches clips from Cars or Speed Racer for maybe 15-20min. Not just surfing the net unsupervised.
    Leslie03

Answer by Leslie03 at 5:22 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I would not put him in his room for the entire weekend, no. Taking away toys....maybe some, but not all. I would maybe take the few favorite toys away. TV...absolutely. That is often the punishment of choice in my house. Even at 4, some restrictions make good punishments, but I think putting him in his room for the entire weekend is too much.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:26 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Punishment does not teach good behavior. The optimal form of parenting is authoritative and does not involve punishment. You can have well behaved children without using any forms of punishment.

Your husband needs help with parenting skills and/or counseling. Even if you use punishment as parenting it is not appropriate to punish a 4 year old for a whole weekend. You might try finding info online or books to show him. If that doesn't work then suggest attending a parenting conference, classes, or counseling before he damages your little boy.

Authoritative parents believe in developing a close and nurturing relationship with their children while also upholding and maintaining a reasonably high level of expectations and rules or guidelines. While the most difficult to accomplish, an authoritative parenting style is the healthiest and most well-balanced style in which to raise children.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 5:30 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• OMG. Putting a kid on restriction is NOT going to damage the kid. Now THAT is a ridiculous statement.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• yea. that would be nice gail
    too bad that we also have to teach our children about life. And in life, if you make a bad choice you do get disciplined.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I have a four year old and I couldnt even imagine putting him in his room for a whole day much less a whole weekend. When he gets in trouble he has to sit on the couch for about 30 min. or he cant go outside or whatever he wants to do, but I think putting the little fellow in his room for a day or any lengthy amount of time is just to harsh. I couldnt even imagine the little mans face or how he would be feeling in there all alone. Please talk your husband out of doing this to him. there are other ways to deal with it.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 5:50 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• thats alittle much. just take one thing away from him for a day.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:41 PM on Sep. 20, 2009