How can I get my 6 year old to let us donate a bunch of his older toys to charity to make room for his upcoming bday and Christmas??

Anytime I try to bring up this subject he starts crying (and he's not a crier)...Any good ideas to get this done? His room is overflowing with so many toys and the older ones he barely touches, but whenever I try to convince him to let me donate them to a needy child he freaks...help!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 5:27 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I always explain to my children that there are kids out there that do not have any toys, and that by donating their old toys that they no longer play with, they are giving those kids something they will love and be so happy to have. On the occasions that doesn't work, I wait until they are at school, or spending the night at the grandparents, or otherwise out of the house, pack up the toys and get them gone. 9 times out of 10, the kids never even noticed. I know it's not nice to be sneaky, but sometimes you don't have a choice.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:32 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Maybe you could take him to your local homeless shelter and spend some time talking to the needy families there. If you're lucky, they'll have some kids and he can see first hand that they dont get to have the wonderful life that he has. Opening his eyes might help him open his heart.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:34 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Maybe ask for his help picking out toys, and let him go with you to give them away? He might be more willing to do it if he's more involved in the charity work.
    Or just do what tropicalmama said: wait until he's gone, and get a few of the ones he never plays with any more
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 5:35 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I don't think we should try to coerce kids to give away their things. Giving to charity should be freewill. Kids shouldn't have the burdon of being told they have so much and there are kids with nothing. They shouldn't be made to feel guilty about what they have.

Kids that don't have toys should get new toys not castoffs. Telling kids that kids without only deserve trash is not a good lesson. If you want your child to give to children without then go shopping for new toys.

The real problem is they have too much stuff. Figure out another solution. Get rid of broken stuff. Get shelves. Don't give many birthday and Christmas presents.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 5:40 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Well his old toys aren't "trash" and I thought donating them was a better idea then throwing them out. Jeez.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 5:47 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• GailllAz - That is just wrong! Sometimes young kids need to be coerced into giving, that is how they learn! Yes, they shouldn't be made to feel guilty for what they have, but they should also appreciate evrything that they have. Do you mean to tell me that a child with absolutely NO toys wouldn't be thrilled with a toy that was donated? I think that the OP has a great idea, our children should donate their old toys. Stepmom929, I think that you should sit down and try to explain why you are wanting to donate the toys, that other children would love to have them. If he cries or protests, I agree with the AP, do it while he is at school. He will never even realize that they are gone! :)
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 6:13 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I agree with the AP, do it while he is at school. He will never even realize that they are gone! :)

***
    That's what I was going to say, as that is what I have done through the years, and my boys never missed them! Of course, I was careful to donate only GOOD working items with all of their parts, and I KNEW my boys did not play with anymore.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:31 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My parents own rental property and they rent to this one lady who is raising her grandson. The mom is on and off drugs so the child rarely gets to see his mom. The grandmother works a part-time job and the grandfather is disabled. They don't have much money at all so we have "adopted" them. By the time my son has outgrown his toys then it is the perfect age for this little boy. At first my son was reluctant to give away his toys but once he meet the little boy, my son went home and started saying "I want to give this to _____". So we would put the toys in the box and once the box is full then we would make a trip to see the little boy. Every once in awhile my son might change his mind about a toy he had put in the box, so he was free to get it out of the box, but it eventually went back into the box again. I think it is very important to teach our children compassion, kindness, gratefulness, and helping other people. Cont.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:30 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Continued... The grandmother can't afford new toys and we can't afford to give the child the amount of new toys that we can give him in "gently used, good condition toys". The child does not even know the difference so it is a win-win situation. We do encourage our son to save some of his change to buy a toy for the Toys for Tots program every year. Last year, my son overheard us talking about a program at my husband's work. They were taking donations and change for families in need. The second my son heard the word change, he ran up to his room and got his piggy bank. He wanted to take it right then and there to the police station to give his change so police officers could help the people. Anyways, my point being is that with a little bit of encouragement and having your son help pick out an "adopted" family, it may open his eyes to the joy of giving to others. Good Luck!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:36 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Last fall there was a little girl who her and her mommy and daddy lost everything they had due to a fire(nothing left)..I found out about it though a friend. And my daughter heard the talking. I explained to her that the little girl's house had a fire and burned down and she now doesn't have any toys to play with or clothes. My daughter got a bag, went into her room and filled the bag with toys to give this little girl. She gave her dolls, books, puzzles, little toys(the little girl was like 3-4yrs old) My daughter was only 6yrs at the time. And she did this all on her own. A friend came and pick the stuff up for the little girl and between my 6yr old and I we found a big tall laundry basket full of toys,etc. for this little girl.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 8:52 PM on Sep. 20, 2009