FRACTURED WRIST

I recently fractured my wrist. Going to physical therapy now. Anyone know how to make frozen joints from lack of use while in a cast easy to start moving freely again? I'm out of my cast one week and fingers and hand don't want to move, very painful and have to take meds for excruciating pain. I'm not young. Thanks for any help.

Heartprints143

Asked by Heartprints143 at 6:14 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Health

• Well, for me it's my ankle. My dr gave me exercises to do in order to get things moving again and stretch ligaments and tendons and such. They also told me that I would need to take painkillers so that I could do the exercises and stuff. You have to force it to a degree. I just got my cast off my ankle Tuesday, and I have to force myself to walk and put weight on it, and do the exercises, b/c it does hurt. The pain goes away the more you do the exercises (or in your case, physical therapy) and the more you use it. It takes time. I hope that helps you a little bit.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:19 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Maybe try to move it around in warm water, whether in a pan on the table, or in a sink, maybe the warmth will help. What does the PT say to do?
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• When I was a Sports Medicine student (20 years ago), I completed a large portion of my 1500 hour internship in a Physical Therapy clinic, and then they used Paraffin Wax treatments on joints with AMAZING results! I believe day spas and upscale nail salons offer such treatments now.

Basically it's like dipping your injured joint in warm melted candle wax, you let the wax harden and the heat from the wax provides a REALLY deep and soothing therapeutic benefit. After about 15-20 minutes you simply peel off the hardened wax (placing it back into the Paraffin wax container, where it can be reused), and then do light stretching and strengthening exercises.

The increased blood flow to the area also helps in the healing process.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:27 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• ^^ Check into that. My text book from Science and Wellness listed it as a good therapy for heeled breaks and fractures. It mentioned specifically a sport that used it often but I can't remember now...it's been a good while since I took Sports Management classes.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 7:58 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I once fell down a flight of stairs and broke my wrist, arm, and foot. The wrist break was more like turning an entire one inch section to powder. I had to have surgery with a long metal bar and screws inserted. The drs really did not think I would ever use my hand again. My mom had been a rn in orthopedics. She suggested that I exercies my fingers every day. I was confined to bed for 3 months because I could not use crutches or a normal wheelchair and it took that long to get a motarized one. Every day, I would take the non broked hand and move the fingers on the broken hand. I did this over and over. At first, I had no feeling. Slowly, I regained feeling and use. One onve of my visits, the dr said, How is that area doing. When I flexed all 5 fingers, he started beating his chest and running down the halls yelling, "Damn, I am good." I did not get to do much therapy because my ex left. I just exercised myself.
    tomatoqueen

Answer by tomatoqueen at 4:32 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I wanted to add that you can get a squeeze ball from your therapist. That helps. Warmth is great as well. I regained 95 percent use. This is with lupus, arthritis, and carpal tunnel. Good Luck.
    tomatoqueen

Answer by tomatoqueen at 4:34 AM on Sep. 21, 2009