My newborn sometimes cries and acts hungry after a feeding, but won't take the nipple anymore. Should I use a pacifier?

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 6:58 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sure, try it. Babies just want to suck ;)
    jalex

Answer by jalex at 7:02 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• How old is your newborn? Are you sure you had your "let down" and teh baby is getting the milk? My let down was so much that he would stop sucking and turn his head and then my milk would shoot him in the face-poor baby lol

Are you nursing on demand? Drinking water to thirst?
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 7:56 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Your baby may just be gassy after eating...make sure to burp him/her. Gas and hunger can be easily confused...good luck!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:36 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I had the same problem...it may be that you're not producing enough to fill their tummies. My boy would do that after a full bottle and doc said let him eat if he seems hungry. Babies know when they're full and will eat even while asleep, until they feel full. It's good to burp after 1 or 2 ounces, even if it means burping a few times per feeding. keeps down on the gas, and fills them with food, instead of air.
    luckymommy406

Answer by luckymommy406 at 10:05 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My daughter liked to use one after feeding. It didn't last long, but it seemed to make her happy. She now only uses a pacifier for naps and nighttime (she's 6 months old) , so it didn't make her reliant on it all the time. We don't stick it in her mouth everytime she cries so she's not too attached to it, if that's what you're worried about. Either way, they will be ok. Just do whatever makes them happy when they're this little.
    roningirl

Answer by roningirl at 12:05 AM on Sep. 21, 2009