Gentian Violet

Anybody ever use this for their child's thrush? Does it work? My husband is out trying to find it right now for my son.

GinaPetty

Asked by GinaPetty at 7:03 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes it does work. Don't forget that if you are breastfeeding you need to be treated as well as anything that goes into baby's mouth. Also the gentian violet stains everything purple so make sure to put on clothes that you don't care if they get stained. I hope your LO feels better soon!!
    mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 7:32 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• yes it works-I would look at local health food stores and maybe if you have a whole foods (MIGHT have it). Also what PP said-it stains. You can put it on your nipples too.

Also look into a probiotic too and yoru bacteria might be out of whack.

Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 7:53 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Yes!! It worked like a charm. We went through two courses of Nystatin and in desperation I called the lactation consultant and she recommended it for us. I agree that it is messy, but if you are careful it doesn't have to get everywhere. What I did was swab my son's mouth with a q-tip soaked in the GV, then nurse. That way we would both be treated, and he wasn't drooling purple as much. Be sure not to double dip the q-tip or you will contaminate the GV. It sounds like common sense, but it's also one of those things it's easy not to think of. I got mine at the pharmacy, it was behind the counter, but you just have to ask for it, no Rx needed. Good luck.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:55 PM on Sep. 20, 2009