14 year old son is going to get circumcised but he does not want to but it is a health thing how can i Reassure him about it?

My 14 year old son is going to be circumcised because he has hit puberty or so his doctor has says anyways. And his foreskin is still fused to the head of his penis. Well his doctor wants him to get circumcised because if this is not fixed his doctor thinks it could hurt him. My son does not want to get circumcised because he is deathly afraid of people seeing him down there and he is afraid of the pain and everything. How can I reassure him? How can I comfort him? I really wish there was some other way but his doctor does not think there is and I do not want to make my son do something he does not want to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Okay so I read through all the responses here. The Op stated that she had already gotten second and third opinions so I would haev to conclude that the procedure is necessary at this point. Now, as far as DS feelings on the matter, i would listen to him. He is old enough to understand what the Doctor wants to do and what is going to be done. I would set up a private appointment for just him and the doctor to discuss his concerns. There may be more than what he is telling you. If he still chooses not to have it done then I would respect that. If it comes to a point where it is interfering with his comfort or sexual interactions he will re evaluate then, no harm done. Unless the Doctors involved feel that there is an immediate threat to his well being I would let it go for now.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I think your doctor is a quack! In most cases, there is NO medical reason to get circumcised. And 14 is WAY too old to be trying to pressure him into doing something with his own body. especially a place of his body that is so personal.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:19 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I would seek a second opinion.

There are men who go though their whole lives without being able to pull the forskin back....as long as its not painful for him and he is not having any issues....I WOULD SEEK A SECOND OPINION!

Doesnt your son deserve for YOU his own mom to be his advocate. I cant blame him for wanting to keep his forskin!

There are also procedures to stretch the opening.....but I am not sure I am for that either, but at least you could check into it for him!

There are alternatives....Dr's just jump on the circ' bandwagon without considering other options.......

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• You can always consult a urologist for a second opinion. It's not something that has to be done right away if it is not bothering him. But if it ends up being inevitable they will give anesthesia so it should hurt much. Who is going to see him down there and why does he care is my question. I encourage you to get that second opinion and get it from the urologist who specializes in that area of the body.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:24 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Leave your poor kid alone!!!
    His penis, his decision.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:24 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• # Tropical creams, steroidal and non steroidal, applied to the prepuce.

# Gradual stretching of the opening of the prepuce to widen it.

# Surgical reshaping of the prepuce to make it wider.

All these treatments tend to avoid the side effects associated with surgical circumcision, trauma, pain, side effects of removal of the foreskin such as friction and interference of the erogenous and sexual functions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:25 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• 2autisticsmom; WHY WOULD HE CARE? What a strange question, if someone was going to do a surgery to remove your clitoris....would that bother you? Would you feel like you were different.....perhaps missing something.

How strange.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:26 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• And umm sorry outsatnding love there ARE medical reasons to circumcise. Don't blame the docs for offering a procedure as an option. It is probably the least invasive procedure to deal with the issue at hand. Certainly there could be others and she should definitely find out.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:28 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• "Who is going to see him down there and why does he care is my question."

Well, he is a teenager so i suspect that they have urinals at school, which means that lots of other boys might accidentally get a glance of his penis.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:30 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Yes there are medical reasons to circ.....but there are other options....obviously those werent talked about or offered. I am blaming the Drs for immediatly going to circ' without talking about other things too.

And how is a circ less invasive than a topical steroid cream?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Sep. 20, 2009