What is your opinion of putting an internet-capable computer in your child's room?

I had my own computer when I was a kid, we had AOL. (LMAO!) I "hid" things from my mom and talked to people I shouldn't have talked to. I don't think we'll be letting our daughter keep her computer in her room for this exact reason.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 7:14 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think about the same thing as i do for TV in a child's room. ...The only difference for me is that when my child is old enough to purchase a TV to put in their room then they can do that, ...but i dont care if they buy their own damn computer AND pay for the internet. it will be in the living room until they are 18.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:17 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Yeah, the computer was in the living room at my dad's house but in my room at my mom's. I didn't do anything bad while at my dad's house. Ugh I was such an insecure teenager, I wish I could go back and kick my own butt.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I agree with you. Kids can be nieve and too trusting. Ours is in the dining room, I have all my daughters accounts and passwords.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:30 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My dd is only 4 months old so this is a loooong way off, but when she's older and if we feel that she's mature enough to have these privileges, then we'll let her have the internet and TV in her room. I know there are a lot of bad things and people out there, so no bashing please.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 7:33 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• hahahaha seriously...No I wouldn't for any reason!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 7:34 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I have 3 boys, and they didn't have a computer in their room until 18. Even mature and responsible kids can find themselves in situations that they don't have the experience to handle. I'd rather be safe than take chances.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:39 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I WOULDENT DO THAT IF I WHERE U ! ! THERE TOO MUCH SHIT SHE CAN GET IN TO ON THE COMPUTER AND ITS NOT GOOD FOR A GIRL TO HAVE ONE IN THERE ROOM . IT WOULD BE DIFFERENT IF SHE WAS MUCH OLDER . DONT DO IT ! ! ! !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Nope! For one thing there is not enough room in the boys room to put a computer, for another I would be worried that they would sneak on in the middle of the night and be up all night playing computer--and sleep during school time. They go to my mils house and she allows them on her computer (with internet) and I belive 1 boys record is 13hr straight at the computer-- and up till 2am on it! (yeah she does not set limits, boundaries). I also would worry about what they were doing on the internet.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:53 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My son is two years old, but there is no way he will ever have Internet in his room under the age of 18. I already have a 21-year-old son and I am very strict about this sort of thing.

I took care of children who were given laptop computers when they started third grade and the house had wireless Internet. Needless to say, they were always in their bedrooms on the Internet when they were supposed to be doing their homework. One day, in front of the mom, I typed "se" in the Goggle search box on her 10-year-old son's laptop, and the auto fill spelled out "sexy nude girl pictures". I had warned her about getting filters and making sure the kids only used the computers in the common living areas.
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 7:55 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I grew up with computers & tv in my own room.. I know what happened.... And I will try my best to protect my kids from the same for as long as i can..
    so the computers & tvs will be in a public area of our house...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:09 PM on Sep. 20, 2009