When do I tell my family?

I don't know when to make the big announcement that I'm pregnant with my first one. Here are the silly circumstances.

1. My partner and I aren't married yet. He's been waiting for an opportunity to ask my dad (so cute of him) but he's been shy about it. I don't want them to think we're getting married just bc we're pregnant.

2. I'm still working out property issues from my messy first marriage/ divorce.

3. My mom told me straight up "I love him (my partner), have babies with him, just wait until you settle your property from your first marriage."

I'm 27, the father is 29, we just tested positive this week. I'm still getting used to the idea. We got pregnant on purpose.

When/ how do I spill the beans?

ecodani

Asked by ecodani at 7:54 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• we told our closest family at about 5 weeks after conception, so about 7 weeks pregnant. but it is totally personal. lots of people wait until around 12 weeks. i think your family will be very happy. we had circumstances too, like i was still in school, and i could see the worry in my grandparents' faces when i told them! but they were really happy for us anyway.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 7:57 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• whenever you feel the right time is. When you are ready, just explain to your parents that you both are in love with each other and you are getting married for that reson first. Not just because your expecting. It is exciting isn't it......that your expecting. Congratulations!!!
    team21

Answer by team21 at 7:57 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Well, if your soon to be DH wants to ask for your hand in marriage he should do that before the announcement IMO. ...have him ask your dad first ....then a couple weeks or a month or two later announce that you are pregnant. You most likely wont even be showing until you are 3-5 months along.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:59 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I would wait until after that first trimester. that gives you another 12 wks or so.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 8:07 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• oh, and it's around XMAS
    charisma10