Why do people get all pushy about breastfeeding in public?

I breastfed and had no issues with doing it in public.
#1 Who needs to take a newborn out for long outings?
#2 If you need to nurse in public there is no reason for everyone for a square mile to even know you're doing it.
#3 I've nursed in public plenty and no one even knew, much less cared.
#4 If you need attention for nursing get a bumper sticker.
#5 Boobs are boobs no matter what you're doing with them. You can feed your child without flashing people.

Why, why, why make a federal case out of this???? Have some modesty and respect the fact that some more conservative people may not want to look at boobs while they shop or dine out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have seen woman literally just plop their boob out to feed. I two do the two shirt thing. I have breastfed both of my daughtrs and yes they HATE to be covered. yeah i have flashed a few times im sure but i did try to stay covered and i was NEVER one of those just pull it and feed thats a little to much. I tried to be in a corner booth...chair in back....so on and so forth.
    anjalee033

Answer by anjalee033 at 10:33 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I don't care if someone nurses in public, but they should respect themselves, their child and the public and at least cover up.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 8:00 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Women on here should not make a big deal over breastfeeding OR formula feeding. We are all mothers and making decisions for our bodies and our babies. I have been sooo insulted for not breastfeeding. I mean, people have come up in public and asked. Though I tried to bring milk on with medicine, I could not. But it wasn't a big suprise for me, I adopted my babies. Insulting me for that? Gimme a break! Some people will be disrespectful to each other no matter what. They always want to be better than someone else. Women should be supporting each other...not disrespecting each other. If we disrespect each other, we give everyone including men the OK to do it. Sigh....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• What's your problem? In the last 10 years I have never seen anyone breastfeed with over exposure. Daily I see overexposure of young women's backs where tops don't go down to low riding jeans and very low cut tops. Pregnant women wear skin tight tops. I get to see all the ugly tatoos and piercings and get to hear the foul language coming from everyone's mouths. I would much rather see some breastfeeding boob then the ugly trends today.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 8:03 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I hate looking at boobs. There's just something about ignorant, stupid people that set me off.

Now...as for breastfeeding and seeing the occasional breast...there are times it can't be helped, I understand that. I appreciate it when women are discrete and don't just flop their breast out then attach the baby. And yes, Gail, it DOES happen. I'm glad you've never seen it, but for those of us who have, we truly do appreciate it when women try to be more discrete about when their breast is exposed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Before nursing I had never noticed a woman nursing in public.
    While I was nursing & after I became more aware & suddenly found them EVERYWHERE lol.. But none where showing the goods off. they where very descrete about it and they all seemed to not want to be noticed at all...
    I see more skin from woman wearing revealing outfits at the mall.. and even AT THE ZOO! Me & DH got a "show" the last time cause some lady was walking around with a thin shirt on & no bra. ya. her nips where sticking out like it was 10 below outside .. UGH
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:22 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• If you don't want to look at boobs while you shop or dine then avert your gaze. I think all the drama is here on cafemom anyway. I nursed four kids and while i tried not to have to when I was out in public I did. No said a damn thing about it. But I guess it's because in the real world you don't have an anonymous button to hide behind. Besides it's not like I wanted people to be looking, i just wanted to feed my baby. If it offends you oh well put the blanket on your head or just stop staring.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:36 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• That's my point 2austicmom, cover up and no one cares. Women who have people bitching at them are purposelyflopping them out or incredibly careless. And I agree all the drama about this is on CM. That's what I'm getting at!!!  No one is offended by breastfeeding in public when it's done modestly because no one (other than another nursing mother) would ever notice it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I've never seen anyone with a massive banner and both breasts out screaming "I'M NURSING!" I have, however seen moms breastfeeding without covers and less breasts showing than I see at the mall on a Friday evening.

I'm pretty sure the big deal is made when someone fails to make that distinction.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 8:46 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• The only thing I am looking to respect is my child's need to eat.  I will feed my child covered or not anywhere my child is hungry. Have respect for the child and let the baby eat!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Sep. 20, 2009