What age/grade do kids learn to multiply?

So I was talking with my son today, and realized he figured out on his own how to multiply. He's only 5 years old, and we just started officially home-schooling. He's been able to add and subtract for almost two years, but I never thought to teach him how to multiply, until earlier today he said something about 3 2s. So I asked how many he would have if he had 3 2s, and he said 6. Then I asked how many is 5 2s and he said 10. I asked how many is 3 4s and he said 12. I am blown away by this. He picked up the concept completely on his own. Im thinking tomorrow about giving him a bunch of beans, and having him work out some harder problems with 7s 8s and 9s, and maybe teaching him about division as well. Am I wrong to think this is very advanced for 5 years old?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 7:57 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• It used to be 3rd grade
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 7:59 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I think that is advanced. But i'm 22 and in California i was taught how to multiply in 4th grade.
    My oldest is in kindergarten now and is not multiplying in school yet.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:01 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• we started at 2nd grade.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 8:07 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I think I started in the 1st grade. Did more in the 2nd.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I think there is a (slight) difference between knowing that 3 2's make 6 and understanding 3x2=6. It's semantics, I know. My middle boy figured out the first example on his own, but when I tried to explain/tell him about 3 x 2, he was totally confused (even with visual examples) Now, the concept is VERY advanced for my son (not even in kindergarten yet), so I'm just going with his flow right now.

I think I started multiplying in second grade. That was back in the 70's though.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:18 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I just checked the curriculum for my oldest son's school. They introduce multiplication and division in second grade.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:20 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• 3rd grade usually. The introductory skills begin in kindergarten.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:23 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My son started learning just the basics in first grade
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 8:25 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I think it starts seriously in 3rd grade but I remember also doing the whole grouping sets of numbers to equal numbers (3 2s is 6 bears) in first grade. Good for him!
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 8:36 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• You're right TiccledBlue, it is all semantics. Luckily for him he is also pretty advanced in that area as well. I took the time to explain to him that what he is doing is called multiplying, and that saying 3 times 2 is the same as saying 3 twos. He understood perfectly, and can still answer either way you phrase it. The concept behind the words is what's most important though, and I am mostly blown away by the fact that he figured all this out on his own. I haven't ever sat down to teach any of this to him. Of course this is the same kid who taught himself how to spell, write, and add and subtract, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 8:44 PM on Sep. 20, 2009