Does your toddler ever just play in their crib instead of napping *sigh*

sometimes (today included) my son will just play in his crib for up to an hour and a half while i am trying to get him nap. i am very lucky that he goes to sleep on his own, without rocking, just nurses for about 1 minutes, usually plays for 5-10 minutes, then sleeps. but sometimes during nap he just stays awake. after about 45 minutes he will start crying, i will try nursing him again, put him back in bed, and then sometimes he goes to sleep and sometimes he plays for a while and never sleeps. of course i wouldnt mind but he's just 2 so he gets really grumpy when he doesn't nap.

this just happens a couple of times per month, but i'm wondering if any other kid does this?

CONTINUES

Stefanie83

Asked by Stefanie83 at 8:03 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Some babies never take a nap in a crib. Ever. Some babies don't even have cribs.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 8:04 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• oh and also i am worried about this happening everyday once he switches to a toddler bed! which will be soon, not sure when, but SOON. :| he does nap at his day care (3-4 days per week) on a cot and does just fine but his behavior is usually a little better at school than home lately since he likes to push his boundaries ;)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:07 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• my son is in a toddler bed. has been since 16 months. it depends on how tired he is. he has now expressed that he thinks he's too big for naps. but i still put him in his room for quiet time. sometimes he plays quiety in his room, then climbs into his bed and falls asleep on his own. sometimes i'll give him a couple books to read and then he falls asleep. sometimes he just plays in his room quietly without going to sleep. on somedays, i'm nice enough to let him lay in my bed and watch cartoons for quiet time. i have to keep him quiet, cuz my 1yr old still takes naps and God forbid he wake her up. she needs them more than he does!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• sometimes my 2 yr old takes a nap, sometimes he doesnt. on the days he doesnt, he will go to sleep at 6:30 and sleep till 8 am. sometimes "quiet time is just as good as a nap.my oldest stopped taking naps when he was 2, it was hard at first, but you get used to it.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 8:15 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My 1 yr old will not stay in the playpen or crib unless he is napping. He is really active. He thinks it's aa punishment to be in either one unless he is sleepy. He is up at 6 am takes a nap from 11:30 am until 1:30 maybe 2pm and he is up until about 7pm. His sleep patern is disturbed two days a week when he goes to his daycare providers house.
    teenb7

Answer by teenb7 at 8:44 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My son loves to play in his crib. It's the one place in his room where he can throw things around, jump up and down, and see out the window. He used to hate being in there until he learned to bounce.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 10:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2009