Do you let your children help decorate their rooms?

So we were redecorating my son's room, he got to choose the paint color and furniture. A friend of mine asks my son ''so what do you think of the color your mommy painted your room?'' I did not know what to think, because I have always let my son choose those sorts of things himsef, so I was wondering, how many of you let your children choose things like that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• shes only 3 so not old enough yet.. but in the next 2yrs or so she will be able to start making decisions.. the older she gets the more choices she can make.. i think by the time she is 10 (maybe younger) I wont mind her painting the walls with whatever she likes ... As long as it doesnt DAMAGE our home I plan on being pretty laid back about her room (oh & it must be decently clean!)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:12 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• How old? My older guys got to tell me what they wanted and then I did the rest.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:22 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I would let my boys choose what color they want. They are almost 4 and almost 5. but we dont own our home so that's not an option for us. But i do let them hang up things they make on their walls.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:25 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I def. let them input their ideas. I get final say, but they are always involved. Why do I have final say...because I had a 16 yr old who wanted his room painted black. we compromised and let him paint one accent wall black with the caveat when he was leaving for college he had to primer it and repaint it the color of the rest of the room. It worked out well. Right now my granddaughter is in a sickeninly pink room, her choice. It is way too frou frou for me. Thank goodness I don't have to sleep among all the princesses. My grandsons room, no problem. blue with cars and trucks and stuff. Again, his choice.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:34 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Elijah, my five year old does get to help chose how his room is decorated. He is not given full control but he is given choices.

It is his room, not mine.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 11:07 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• we just did the kids rooms this summer my son 5 COMPLETLY picked the colors -- it looks like a box of crayons but works. The walls are yellow, red, blue and orange (acents). He not only told me but even went with me to the store to pick the yellow and the blue.
    My daughter (4) told us the colors she wanted pink and purple and we used that for insparation -- at one point I did not like it but she did and well is her rom, luckily one wall went to yellow and that is much easier for me to deal with.
    So yup, even at 4 and 5 I ask and try to go with what they want.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:18 PM on Sep. 20, 2009