How should an 11 yr old girl dress?

On friday, my daughter got sent home from school to change, but I approve of the outfits she wears.Most of the time she wears a halter top that does not show her stomach, only her arms, bluejeans, and skateboard shoes.Do you think that is okay or not??? (she wears clothes from Hottopic, Wetseal, Journey's, and Spencers.)

FSarahF

Asked by FSarahF at 8:09 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• The school had an issue with the top...Like a PP said, no belly shirts, halter tops, tank tops etc. aloowed.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:25 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I would think a tank and jeans are okay. I say something trendy yet modest.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• not like the girls that dress these days, that's for sure. what you said though sounds fine. it also depends on what's on the shirt, nothing vulgure or anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• The outfit you describe would be a violation of dress code here. No halters, no sleeveless and no spaghetti straps or belly shirts. I'm betting the issue was the halter.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:16 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I think that a halter top is a bit too old for an 11-year-old. A 13 or 14-year-old can get away with that, but an 11-year-old should be dressing like a child, because that's what they are. No offense meant, but I just think that's a bit too mature for someone so young.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 8:16 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• i think that halter tops are a bit too old for an 11yr old girl as well. And it would also be a school dress code violation here too.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:23 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• in MY house we've eliminated a few things from birth for our daughter and they'll never be allowed. she's 3 now and this will go from now til 18th birthday. halters in my home are a nope nope.

self respect and modesty are priorities of mine for her. i plan on using them as tools in keeping her safe, mature, and a strong woman. we dont do spaghetti strap tanks, short shorts (capris and bermudas only, basically) no bikinis, anything tummy showing, etc..... and we tossed 1 shirt this summer because it had criss cross straps in the back and seemed a bit too old for a barely potty trained child to us

really though what she does and doesnt wear should be based on your morals, family, style, and lots more. good luck!!!!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:31 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• wait a sec.... holy poop, your daughter is 11? i just saw her pic on your profile.... I mean NO offense but wow, she is not dressed 11..... more like 21. I'd send her home, too. take the girl to gap or something for some proper clothes....... that is not what most 11 year olds look like in my part of the country. except the ones with the 16 yr old boyfriends
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:34 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Yeah that's how it was when i was in school too. I don't know what the deal with schools and not wanting girls to show their shoulders Im my opinion that's weird.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 9:28 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• oh my, just looked at your baby. she's adorable, but dressed a little too grown up. my daughter at 11 was wearing jeans and character tee shirts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Sep. 20, 2009