Pregnancy and flu shot?

I've been told by multiple people that they suggest I do, since I'm pregnant and flu season has arrived in our hometown.
My OB suggested it, but said that it was up to me and it was purely my judgment call. We went over the pros and the cons of it.

Did you get one during pregnancy? Did it help?

K_Sawyer

Asked by K_Sawyer at 8:19 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The flu shot has NOT been approved for pregnant woman. With the regular flu shot there has been little research done and with the swine flu shot there has been NO research done. ...it is being recommended but they have no clue if it's safe for your unborn or not.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I heard an OB on CBC Radio One the other day, he was talking about the H1N1 shot. It is true that there have been no clinical trials with the H1N1 flu vax on pregnant women, but it is basically the same flu shot as the regular flu shot. In terms of manufacturing it is the same, it just has a different virus in it. The regular flu shot changes from year to year, it's not the same virus, but there aren't clinical trials run every year because the method of maufacturing remains the same. And a woman in her third tri is 5 times more likely to be hospitalized if she hasn't had the flu shot than if she has.

I'm not pregnant and in all likelihood won't have the vax, I don't generally get the regular flu shot, and I do work in a school. If I were pregnant, I don't know, maybe, I'd need to talk with my Dr and do some research. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:47 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I'm still on the fence with this one too. My OB asked me last week if i was going to get one or not. I wasn't sure so I told her I'd wait and think about it and let them know at my appointment this week (i'm 37 weeks)
    It has always been highly recommended at my OB office-they have signs all over the office. I have heard that it can help protect the baby after it's born, so that's kind of on my mind since i'm so near the end of my pregnancy....I don't know though. I have had the flu vax before and it didn't bother me, but i haven't had one in a long time and I never get terribly sick. If I do get the flu, it's always manageable. I have to do some more thinking though since it concerns my baby too...
    stykir

Answer by stykir at 8:52 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• stykir
    if your motivation for getting the flu shot is to help protect your baby then getting the german measles and many other illnesses before you get pregnant the next time should be high on your list, because getting those diseases provides that protection but the vaccines for those diseases do not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Safety of flu vaccines in the first trimester is a tricky question. At the moment, there aren't any studies out there on influenza vaccination specifically in the first trimester, so no one can really say for sure that it is safe. There are studies showing that vaccination against influenza appears to be safe during the second and third trimesters.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I got the flu shot last January when I went in for my first or second prenatal appointment. I didn't get the flu and I didn't have any negative side effects. Our baby won't be old enough for the flu shot this year so my husband and I will be getting it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:39 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I have been considering it, but I have never gotten the flu shot and have only had the flu once in my life. I might after my baby is born in january, though, along with the whopping cough one. And another thing that is making me thing the flu shot would be a bad idea while pregnant, my husband ALWAYS reacts badly to the flu shot and has had to be hospitalized because of this reaction more than once (but he's in the military and they have to get flu shots every so often and aren't always able to find the paper in his file that says he isn't supposed to get it), so what if my baby has the same sensitivity that her dad does? so...thinking probably won't get it...
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:27 PM on Sep. 20, 2009