block church lady...

do you go to church? If so do others ask you to take their kids? Fist, I started letting my son's g/f tag along. She is not Catholic and I don't think she has any interest in being Catholic, but a date to church is a win win right?

Well now the kids (3 of them) down the street want to go church. The mom doesn't want to take them so she asked if they could come with me.

I am torn here because on one hand we are called to help our neighbors, on the other hand I have not desire to go to Mass with 9 kids and only 5 of them are mine.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Can you legally transport 9 kids?? do you have 9 seat belts in your car?? If church is a family thing for you then I don't see why you should feel obligated to bring other peoples kids!! Is she offering to give you gas money???? some ppl have no clue!!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I understand your point. How old are the children?? Old enough to behave themselves? If so, the Lord says to spread his message and the children are the church of tomorrow. I would only take the older children -say over 10 yrs old. Children under that age tend to be a bit noisy and cant sit still for a church service.
    alexsmomma06

Answer by alexsmomma06 at 8:47 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My 5 are 18, 16, 7, 6, and 5 the others are 15, 11, 5 and 4
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I know what you mean. One time there were these families that really wanted their kids to go to church, but they couldn't/wouldn't take them. At one point my DH and I would each make 2 trips full of kids. I would make 2 trips in my car and he would make 2 trips in his car, because we wanted these kids to hear about Jesus. We didn't like it, but we did it because we knew that if they didn't walk with the Lord they would end up like their neighborhood friends (who were always in trouble).

After we were married, we moved far away. None of the kids we gave rides to have any desire to walk with the Lord. But that is their choice. Just pray and ask God to show you what to do ; )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 9:45 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• taking their 5 & 4 year old is just asking you to babysit... she is using you!! That is not very fair to you.... how are you supposed to enjoy Church when you are babysitting (so she can take a nap or something)!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My oldest drives and I drive that would be a total 12 seat belts. I have to agree with you on the no clue. Why not all of us go as a community? We can grab some hamburger afterwards and have dinner (if we go Sat. nights) we grab cinnamon rolls and OJ and have breakfast after. (Sunday morning)

Right now I feel like I am being used as a babysitter for the parents to get an hour off each week. Truthfully, I am leaning towards no. If they parents want to put them in CCD classed and go to Mass with us every week I will be more than happy to help them get there. We are Catholic in a Catholic city for goodness sakes. We have literally a dozen Churches in a 10 minute radius. We will find someone going that way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

___

I agree you posted as I was responding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• One the on hand I think it's rude of her to ask you, and on the other hand I know what you mean about being called to help your neighbors. However, I personally would not be able to handle a 5 and 4 year old that aren't mine. I was barely able to contain my own children at that age. And anon :53 has a point... how are you getting them all there? Will you walk? I think it's o.k. for you to explain that you just cannot take them if you decide that it's too much.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:00 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• O.K. you have the chance to impact a child's or young person's eternity, but because it is inconvenient you don't want to? Let God deal with the mother's attitude and motive. If you have the ability to do so safely I think you should. God will reward your service to Him. It is for Him that we do things. My husband and I live about 10 miles from church. We have two vehicles, before his health problems it wasn't uncommon for us to take a car full of neighborhood kids. Not quite as many as the op, but 4 neighborhood kids and our 3. The only rule was you had to behave and listen to the adults.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:14 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• , but because it is inconvenient you don't want to?
    __
    wow what a big jump you made--lets see--let me count the problems

one, my child would have to drive younger kids, two, I don't have car seats for everyone and this state has a law until 8 and three, it is all I can do to get my youngins to stand-sit and kneel when supposed to, four, weren't you in a Catholic thread early telling the mom to find a protestant church with children's church? but you think i should take kids who are not Catholic sit stand and kneel? My rule is we go as a family we participate as a family.

I think you need to take a day or to and reflect on why you have a hidden problems towards Catholic. Yea, it sucks to have an assumption doesn't it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 PM on Sep. 20, 2009