for those of you who have decided not to get your child/ren vaccinate for seasonal flu/h1n1, would you if your child had a history of respiratory problems?

my son is 2. he had RSV when he was 4 months old he had RSV. since then, he has had to use a nebulizer for wheezing about 6 different times. the last time was 1 month ago, but before that it had been about 6 months. the doctors think he might have asthma, but that's hard to diagnose this early.

he is also in daycare 3-4 days per week.

i don't feel good about the flu shot AT ALL but it's so hard to assess the risks vs. benefits. what are your opinions? would you not vaccinate a child without a history of respiratory problems but would vaccinate a child with a history?? why or why not??

thanks in advance! i just want the best for my son. :) like all of us.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is he breastfed and what kind of day care? If he is going to some kind of group day care it may be a good idea. Group day care is a bad choice with his medical history. It would be best for him to avoid being around other children.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 8:36 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My youngest had RSV and was in the PICU at 5 weeks of age.

We never gave them the flu shot until last year right after he turned two...all three go it. He was diagnosed with asthma. My second son was diagnosed the following month, and my oldest just last week was diagnosed with mild asthma.

I will get them the flu shot until they are old enough to decide for themselves by weighing all the benefits and risks. Anything that lessens their chances of contracting a respiratory illness, preventing them from possible trips to the hospital because they can't breathe is good in my book.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:38 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• op

***Is he breastfed and what kind of day care? If he is going to some kind of group day care it may be a good idea. Group day care is a bad choice with his medical history. It would be best for him to avoid being around other children.***

he is breastfed, but he doesn't nurse much/for long. he will nurse 2-5 times per day, but only for like 1 minutes each time. and his day care is a family run day care. a woman runs it, and her husband, sister, mother, and 2 employees work there. there are 4 other kids in his "class" and several other kids besides that.

as you probably suspected, having him out of child care is not really an option (lest we become homeless), but his doctors have never said that we should take him out of day care. they will usually say, keep him out for the next 5 days, and then our MIL will come stay with us which is great!!!! but she can't do it all the time unfortunately because of the distance
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• i was so sad btw that he did get sick so much, mostly in his first year with the breathing troubles, because i was hoping bfing would help with that. but i just remind myself that if he wasn't breastfed hi might have gotten sick more. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My dd has had many illnesses including RSV. She will get the regular flu shot, but will not be getting the h1n1 shot. It is too new, and too quickly rushed to the market.
    mkrmomma1

Answer by mkrmomma1 at 9:09 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I have a 10 month old that was pretty much diagnosed with asthma based on symptoms. We have to nebulize him and he's had several respiratory infections. I'm having everyone that is around him getting the flu shot. My dr. highly recommended that i get him the flu shot as soon as it's available. It's very serious when little ones with resp. problems get the flu so not getting the shot is a gamble.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 9:10 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• If your child already has a compromised immune system my suggestion is to NOT vaccinate them any longer. In fact that they have already tied ashma to side effects of vaccines. The swine flu has been tied into GBS (an autoimmune disorder) The regiular flu shot is a total waste. A year in advance they pick the 3 strains of flu that they will put into the vaccine-They have NEVER guessed correctly. There are reports that the flu vaccine has been unsuccessful for years!

I would immediately puit your child on "Probiotics"-it is teh good bacteria found in yogurt but you get a lot more of it in a 1/2 teaspoon.

Check out the ingredients from the CDC themselves about vaccines:
    http://www.novaccine.com/vaccine-ingredients/
    From the CDC web site:
    http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/B/excipient-table-1.pdf

Google Dr Tenpenny-she is an expert on vaccines
    Dr Mercola too- www.mercola.com

Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 9:46 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I agree with Loa1002. All that I read in your post and in some of the answers made me think, "Haven't they already linked asthma to vaccines?"
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 10:10 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• if my child had asthma or another serioous health problem and it was highly encouraged for them to receive it than yes. However I don't get the regular flu shot nor do my kids and honestly I'm not getting this one either.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:44 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I'm pregnant and was planning to get the H1N1 and taking my 1 year old and 3 year old to get it. My OB/Gyn told me not to. She says she doesn't feel that it's been proven safe. One of my closest friends' husband is an ER doctor and he told her not to get the regular flu shot for herself or their kids because he said it's the same shot as last year, they didn't update it with this year's strains. He said the flu that he has seen in the ER is not in the regular flu shot. So, based off of those 2 doctor's opinions none of us will be getting the flu shot regular or H1N1 this year. My OB and my friend's husband thinks the H1N1 vaccine may be old for healthy adults, but for young children, pregnant women, or anyone with a weakened immune system they (the 2 doctors I've talked to) do not recommend it.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:56 PM on Sep. 20, 2009