Is your happiness and or satisfaction tied to your spouses?

I just cannot fathom this concept on any level whatsoever. My SO is starting this argument with me once again, and on my birthday of all damn days. He says his happiness is dependent upon me and my actions, this is just crazy talk to me. I tell him "No way is my happiness dependent upon you" and he acts hurt ( well angry but that is his way of being hurt, I can tell the difference by now). I do not get how that statement is hurtful in any way, it is the truth! And I am a person who is all about telling the truth, regardless of feelings!

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 8:50 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Relationships

• no. my husband makes me very happy and I do feel satisfied being his wife, but my happiness and satisfaction does not depend on him, it does not depend on my children either, or on my circumstances either, it depends on God, completely. He may die before me, or my kids may also, I don't know the future, but I do know that if I lean on God through anything I may face that I will have joy and satisfaction.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 8:55 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• this is a tricky question yes and no. In our house moods and attitudes are contagious. If my husband is in a super crappy mood it does really negatively effect my mood. The opposite is also true. I also am happy when I know that i've done something that makes him happy. So in that sense yes. But is he my whole world and i have nothing else that makes me feel happy or satisfied no. I think maybe your husband is being the girl and wants you to be more empathetic. I hope this helps.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 8:59 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Alot of my happiness is depending on him. I am the type of person tho I dont like being alone, I always need someone I mean I can be happy alone at home by myself bc I know he will always be home soon & because him and the kids is all I have and I need them to be happy. If I didnt have them I would not be happy. It is hard question but maybe he is saying he needs you to make him happy because he would be unhappy if yall werent together.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 9:23 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• i am happy with my husband.....but my happiness and satisfaction doesnt depend on him....now my choldren it does...as long as they are happy i am......my life my love...my world...its all my boys....
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 9:26 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• nope im happy regardless... my husband is just the added bonus lol. those who depend on others to make them happy will never be truly happy
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 9:41 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I love my DH so much,but, my happiness and satisfaction don't depend on him,it depends on GOD ,that's who I can't live without .In the past week,I have seen 2 women bury their husbands ,each of them had been married over 40 years, but, to hear them talking of life and descisions,and seeing how strong they are is amazing,this strong will-power can only come from with-in yourself and GOD. When,you start saying,I can't live without my DH,and I'm not happy unless my DH is around me,something is wrong. I was taught,in order to find love and happiness,you must first love yourself.
    lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 9:53 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• define happiness... my hubby gets moody when im pissed, but i never could be all giddy if i knew something was bothering him. More so what dose he mean by dependant?
    mamacotten

Answer by mamacotten at 9:58 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• birthday sweetpeaHappy Birthday btw. Men are stupid. You are right. You make your own happiness. You simply enjoy it more when they act right!

Answer by admckenzie at 10:10 PM on Sep. 20, 2009