for those of you who have flown RECENTLY and put their carseat under the plane

How much is luggage? is it by weight? and what about the carseats? are they free or do they weigh those now too? i know they used to be free but i haven't flown since the whole new thing where they charge for luggage all the time now...TIA

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Travel

• carseats can be free if you gate check them. You can also try to put your baby in the carseat on the plane if there is a extra seat and that will be for free also.
    alaskansglmom

Answer by alaskansglmom at 8:58 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• i'm flying with my 1 year old in my lap and my 2 year old next to me so taking the carseat is not only a hassle but a no go. i've always put the carseat under the plane i just don't know what the new "rules" are when it comes to charges
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Anything after 50 lbs there's a charge -- not sure how much it depends on the airline. Depending on the airline as well, the first bag checked could have a charge, and most have a charge for a second bag, anywhere from $25-50.

And yes, you can gate check your car seat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• thanks. i know i can gate check a carseat, but like i said, it's too much of a hassle. i'll have two kids with me and carrying a carseat to the plane would be just too much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• No you do not need to cate -check your car seat. Car seat are free to check in . Call your airline,they know their rules.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• In extreme turbulence, a lap-baby can become a projectile. It is recommended (by the FAA and others) to have your baby in a carseat on the plane.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:45 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• If you are checking your car seat it will not count towards the amount of bags you can take and they don't weigh them. I would not check it crub side or at the counter. The best option is to gate check them. As for how much luggage cost and how many pounds you can take it all depends on which airline and if it is an international flight or just domestic. Southwest still allows a free bag.
    SabrinaL

Answer by SabrinaL at 9:15 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• You can check you car seat at the ticket counter. When I travel with three little ones I bring two car seats on to the plane I use straps and hook it onto the stroller that way I am not carrying it and it is not a big deal. One hangs off either side. But either way you are not charged for gate checking or checking at the ticket booth. Then as far as the bags SabrinaL is so right. Everything depends on the airline but more often than not they are making you pay for the first bag a fee, which is awful but what can we do about it. Sometime when I fly I wind up flat rate shipping some things home to make it cheaper.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• It depends on what airline you are using. I have never had to pay for carseat/stroller checkon. You leave it at the end of the gate (tagged of course) and they have it ready for you when you get off the plane. I've flown several times recently and had no problems at all. It wouldn't hurt to call the airline and ask them. Each airline has different rules!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 3:22 PM on Oct. 4, 2009