My daughter just started middle school ( 11 yrs. old in the 6th grade ) how old do you allow makeup worn?

I allow my daughter to wear nail polish and lip gloss but she wants to wear makeup to school, church, and out. I've said no many times and told her when she begins High School I will allow her to wear makeup and will show her how to put the stuff on . Many of her friends are already wearing it. I still feel she should wait and look like an 11 year old. She has started to punish me by not speaking to me which is making me say NO! even more. How do I get it across to her that I really want her to wait without the hassle? Am I really being fair to her?

Sunsetbrz

Asked by Sunsetbrz at 9:01 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• 16 is my age limiT. But only if its for the right reasons bc her friends are doing it and bc the boys like it are 2 reasons i would tell her NO. if u want to wear it bc it makes u feel clean and pretty and a lil more mature then ok wear it. but no way would i let an 11 yr old do it. Sit her down take her out to eat and tell her if she want to do "grown up" things then she needs to act more grown up. Throwing fits and the silent treatmeat are not grown up things and shes choosing ur choice by her actions
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• You should let her wear makeup. As long as she's not going crazy and applying like a hooker it's fine and normal. Take her to the local department store have them show her how to put it on appropriately. Middle school is a brutal place and it's going to set the tone for her high school years especially if she's going to be with the same kids. Let her do what she can to fit in within reason. You have to pick your battles you can't say no to everything and expect her to still listen. I know you want her to stay a little girl but she's growing up and you have to let her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I HAVE A 13 YEAR OLD GIRL AND SHES IN 6TH GRADE AND I WONT LET HERE WHERE MAKEUP AND I TOLD HER THE SAME THANG ! ! JUST PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN AND KEEP TELLING HER NO ! I DO THE SAME THANG ! JUST HANG IN THERE ! !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• That is to young imo. Just let her do what she has been with the nail polish and lip gloss. I say 16 is a good age to start and very lightly.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I'm pretty hard and fast stuck on 8th grade and ONLY then if it isn't just because "all the other girls do" Our school district just made it really easy though. No make up period until high school
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My daughter is 11 and in the 5th grade, usually, all she wears for makeup is mascara and eyeliner.
    FSarahF

Answer by FSarahF at 9:43 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I don't know how I'll react to this when my DD comes to this point (she's only 2.... I was just seeing what kinds of things I'm in for later, lol), but maybe you could let her try a VERY light eyeshadow, like a pale, pale pink or a peachy color. Nothing that really is gonna show. It might make her feel a little more grown up but not overdo it. I think that letting them wear eyeshadow and lip gloss would be all that I would allow... altho I think 13 if my limit. i know that's my limit for ear peircing
    RebekahsMommy06

Answer by RebekahsMommy06 at 10:57 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• An 11 year old should only wear lipgloss and nail polish. 7th grade is usually when they start to wear a bit more...maybe blush and a soft colored lipstick. 6th grade and 11 years old is too young for makeup.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:09 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• i think the lip gloss thing and nail polish policy you have going on is just fine for her age..... i didnt start wearing make up till i was 13( that was my congrats your a teenager birthday gift) lol and even then i just wanted to look like my favorite little anime characters from the cartoons i watched LOL... but i dont know i'd tell her to wait till she hits the teenage age and even then nothing heavy or skimpy clothes... but for 11 and 6th grade nail polish and lip gloss sound just fine :-)
    armymum1013

Answer by armymum1013 at 11:22 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Consistancy. She doesn't have to like it, she doesn't have to speak to you, whatever. You are the mom, stick to your convictions. Besides the issue of looking too grown up, there is the issue of respect and manipulation. She thinks she can get her way by "punishing" you. If you give in on this she will get the message that "I can play mom".

By the way, at 11 my child wore just lip gloss too, then at 12 she got lipstick and at 13 light make up. She is now 14 and wears full make up but only as dark as I say.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:47 PM on Sep. 20, 2009