Food?

Are christians allowed biblically to eat meat? If so what ones? Does eating meat cause us to not walk with Christ?

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 9:17 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• lol i'm a christian and my God said eat what you want and take it in thanks
    miasmom2008

Answer by miasmom2008 at 9:33 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Jesus TOLD Peter to eat meat (EVEN UNCLEAN MEAT). Read Acts 10 my friend : )

But if you feel like God will be mad at you if you eat mean, then you don't have to. But if someone loves God and eats meat, they are not in sin. I eat meat (I don't eat carbs, but not for religious reasons).

Just love God!!!

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 9:40 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Idk, I eat meat (except on Fridays) and I was raised that it was o.k. to do so. Sometimes I think Christians (and other religions too) tend to focus so much on what God doesn't want them to do, and they forget that the single most important thing is a good relationship with Him. They rest falls into place automatically after that...

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:54 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Romans 14 (the whole chapter) uses eating meat as a way to explain that some things are up to the individual person. it says that one person is convicted not to eat meat, while another doesnt carry this conviction. both are equal in God's eyes, so long as they are doing so to glorify God.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:36 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I have never seen anywhere in the New Testament where meat is forbidden. In the Old Testaments there were dietary restrictions, primarily pork, and meat sacrifieced to idols. The meat sacrificed to idols was simply a way to keep the Jewish people away from idols, the pork was primarilly for their own good. They couldn't refrigerate it. So as a Christian I see no reason not to eat meat.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:19 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Well agian the denom I am in I am sure you are all aware of what it is lol. EGW councils christians about how meats make us feel, emotionally. How they stimulate us. I even heard last Sabbath that she said this. That once you find out what meat does to you, if you contnue to eat it you will not walk with Christ. I don't know which book of hers it came out of though. Now EGW does say that you don't have to be vegetarian to go to heaven, but then she says stuff like this and I go wha?!
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 12:52 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Yes, we are allowed to eat meat. Jesus ate the Passover lamb. You should probably switch churches, Rhanford. I hate it when pastors quote EGW as though her writings are additional Scripture. EGW herself advised against this practice. Her writings are helpful, the health message is wonderful. BUT, they should not be preached as Gospel! Find a church that teaches the true Adventist message of sola scriptura and save yourself these feelings of condemnation.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:29 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Peter's vision in Acts 10 had nothing to do with any kind of meat. The unclean animals are used metaphorically. Read the entire chapter, especially verse 28 where the vision is explained:

"And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean."

Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:21 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• The bible is pretty clear on this subject. Mankind is to look after and care for the other animals on this earth but should not eat them. Sadly many people take verses from the bible and twist them until they mean what they want them to mean, it happens all the time which is why there are so many denominations of christianity and why none of them actually totally follow the bible.

"..God said unto them....have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.'"(Genesis 1: 28,29)

Man was given stewardship over the animals of the earth. That doesn't mean you get to eat them. It's very clear that the bible prescribes vegetarianism.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:09 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I was raised SDA by grandparents who believed the writings of EGW were over and above the holy scritpures. They also didn't really know very much about proper nutrition, especially when feeding a vegetarian diet to a lactose intolerant infant. Thanks to the combination, I have numerous life-long health problems.
    If a person is careful and makes sure they feed the family a balanced diet of protiens, minerals and vitamins with a vegtetarian diet, it can be nearly as good as a diet with meats included.
    Most of the dietary restrictions of the old testament were because of the storage problems of the past. no refrigeration, red tides in shellfish, etc. they made sense then, but are irrelevant now, unless you are living in a cave, without electricity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Sep. 21, 2009