pumping well prego...

is it safe to start pumping? i am already full term and have been leaking
alot and i have been having contractions... but anyways is it safe to start pumping i already have my milk in and i want to store it in the freezer..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You probably want to wait and let the baby latch first and get all of the colostrum (sp?) your breast produces for their first feeding. That produces before the milk does! Also, I've heard that it helps create a better bond with your baby, and gives them a chance to familiarize with your natural scent so they know who mommy is by smell. I would let it build up so they can benefit.
    luckymommy406

Answer by luckymommy406 at 9:57 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I can assure you that your milk is NOT in. It is Colosturm (SP?) Your milk doesn't come in until 2 to 3 days AFTER the baby is born. It will not come in sooner. I would wait to pump until after the baby gets here to pump.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• To anon 9:16, some moms do have milk come in sooner. I was leaking the day my son was born. Like I had to change gowns just bc of that. so sometimes its early. but i do agree to let baby eat first, to get the colostrum that is at the fore front :-p
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 10:19 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• you dont get your milk in till after you have the baby. you might ~think~ its milk but its colostrum. you have to have that major hormone dip that you get AFTER child birth to allow the body to start producing the actual milk. Why would you start pumping anyway now anyway? You cant store the stuff forever you know!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Ur milk wont come in until3-7 days after birth, it looks like milk because the colostrum gets thicker, but u shouldnt pump, its not the fear of going into labor its because colostrum is baby's immune system, to pump now could take all that colostrum away- Even if u have NO plans on breastfeeding, be sure baby gets the Colostrum, its the most important part of breastfeeding.

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 11:19 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• This is colostrum, which is wonderful, but not milk.
    Do not pump now because it can trigger the release of Oxytocin~ possibly causing intense (like Pitocin) contractions. This is Nipple Stimulation.
    It wouldn't be worth it to put baby through such unusually intense contractions for colostrum, anyway,
    You will have what you need when baby arrives! :-)
    It's great to see you're motivated and excited~ awesome!! Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:43 PM on Sep. 20, 2009