What would you think of me?

I have a problem talking to other mom's probably bc I have nothing much to talk about...idk :(

Oh but my dh can start yapping with just about anyone and they probably think he is a cool kind a guy and me they probably think I am snobby or stuck up but i am not I just don't know what to talk about especially at the football practice field or their games...I feel so dumb :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Your not dumb honey, you are just shy.Try to think of things to talk about that are a common ground with the people around you. Ask how their child is doing in school, if they enjoy the sport they are in, comment on the weather. Do your best to attempt to make even small conversation and each time it will get slightly easier, but for heavens sake, give yourself a break. Many of us have been there, and still are. Being shy is nothing to be ashamed of, better than being a loud mouth, obnoxious, overbearing mom....THOSE are the annoying ones.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I don't like talking to other moms either...talking about kids the whole time is sort of boring (to me).
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:47 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I'm the same way! I am terrible at small talk, but my husband has the "gift of gab" and can talk to just about anyone.

A few tricks I've picked up over the years:

Ask them questions about themselves. Interested is interesting. People love to talk about themselves if you give them the chance. Don't make it sound like you are writing an article on them but ask a few friendly questions:

"Wow, Jimmy is really good with the ball! How long has he been playing?"
    "Did his father play too?"
    "How long have you guys lived in this town? How do you like it here"

Then there are the ever popular:

"What do you do?" - "Oh that must be interesting work. I've always wondered what that would be like."

Small talk is hard, I bet you are fine with people you already know. You just have to get used to it.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:50 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I would probably think "I wonder if she is shy or uncomfortable around strangers too". I tend to be shy around people I don't know, and find it hard to talk to strangers.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:56 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Sounds like your an introvert and that is perfect match for people who are extroverts like your dh and myself. I wouldn't worry, if people are that quick to judge because someone is not extra friendly, you probably do not want to chat it up with them anyway. You will adapt, it may take more work for you and uncomfortable, but that is not always a bad thing, it usually means growth.

MotherHubbard78

Answer by MotherHubbard78 at 9:56 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I am a little like that,my DH knows and speaks to everyone in our neighborhood, we can see somebody in the market,and I will say,who is that,he will tell,oh, that's Mr. Jolly,he has 4 kids,they just brought a new car,my DH is the most people person I know,with a touch of being newsy. I just wave my hand and keep going.

lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 10:14 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My DH is a social butterfly as well! But I'm certainly not!! And I have heard that people say "I think I'm better than everyone else". Not true, I just don't know what to say. In some situations (I'm a SAHM with a special needs child, I can talk all day about those things with other parents in the same situation.) I even chat in line about things, but in social situations (parties etc) I get tongue tied!

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:17 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I know how you feel I never know what to say eigther. I try to talk about what there kids is doing and mention what mine is doing. You are just more of a listener, so am I, so I try to get them talking, so I don't have to pull something out of my butt. Don't feel bad, and don't worry what they think, you know who you are and if they don't have to guts to get to know you then onwell. Also a hint I recently learned smile a lot, you will seem more approchable and maybe someone will come talk to you.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:18 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I'm the same way and I come from a family where every where they do they make a new friend. My parents just moved half way across the country and all ready they have more close friends that my husband and I. I think it's a matter of putting yourself out there. Sometimes you just have to look for something small in common and go from there.
    PeytonNBella

Answer by PeytonNBella at 10:37 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• You can show that you are friendly without talking.... smile when you or someone else approaches, and say hello. If you just ignore people and not smile then you will come across snoddy.
    Granna2006

Answer by Granna2006 at 11:43 PM on Sep. 20, 2009