Should I get cable/satellite in my kids' rooms? They are 7 and 3.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think they are too young for something like that, and you don't want either of them to watch anything inappropriate. Maybe a DVD player or VCR, but that is as far as I would go at this point
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• You're asking ...
    And my answer would be NO.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:49 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• MY KIDS HAS DI- CABLE IN THERE ROOM AND ALL U DO IS PUT A BLOCK ON THE CHEANELS THAT THEY DONT NEED TO BE WATCHING . I DID ! ! MY KIDS LOVE THERE CARTOONS ! !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Having a TV in a child's bedroom is a risk factor for obesity. Obesity is a real health problem causing all kinds of illness and disease. Think about what you want for your kids lives before you do this to them.

http://www.mediafamily.org/facts/facts_tvandobchild.shtml

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/109/6/1028?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=children+television&andorexactfulltext=and&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=HWCIT
    Anonymous

• hey! thanks for those sites anon!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:56 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I know plenty of families that don't have tv's in their kids bedrooms, YET, their kids watch tv all the time, inapporpiate shows, not monitored, & have terrible sleep habits, obesity, etc.

My son has a tv in his roomt. He got this when he was 5. He has cable & dvd player. There are rules. 1. must ask to turn it on, 2. must be appropriate by mom & dad's definition (and we are strict about what is allowed in our house), 3. turned off at bedtime, 4. very limited use 5. all homework must be completed or no tv at all that night, 6. door must be open for supervision, 7. any rules broken, tv is taken out of room for 2 weeks. Rules continuosly broken, tv taken away permanently.

We've never had a rule broken. No sleep issues. our kid is not obese, actually very active w/ play & sports. We watch less tv than all of our freinds. It's not about tv. it's about parenting! Have a tv, but use moderation, supervision and rules.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 9:59 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I let them have a vcr/dvd in their room (2 and 4) and because they couldn't mess with chanels and we had a nogin channel I hooked it up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I just don't like tvs in bedrooms for anybody, so my answer would be no.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 10:11 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• No. I also think that 7 and 3 year olds are too young to have their own TV.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:49 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• NO!!!!

We have one TV and one internet connection in the house. We go for walks and bike rides, we read, we play card and board games, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:00 PM on Sep. 21, 2009