How do I treat my 22 month old son's possibly infected finger tip?

was cutting son's fingernail last monday and accidentally tore some cuticle/skin on the left side of his left index finger - little bleeding and I just put some aquafor thinking that it was a minor thing. just noticed 3 days ago that area was yellow crusty and the flesh around the area was red. last night and tonight - after his bath, we wiped the area with peroxide to clean and put neosporin. what else should i do? I don't think I need to take him to see the doc. He's never complained about the finger, which is why I only noticed it a few days ago. But I don't want it to get worse and I want his finger back to normal.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• put hydrogen peroxide in a bowl and have his finger SOAK and submerged in it. I would do it for at least for 5 minutes or until it stops bubbling.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 10:04 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Personally I'd go for the Neo and a bandaid. . .
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:23 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My doctor says to use polysporin on children and never neosporin. Also, it's better to clean with iodine than peroxide. They yellow crusty stuff is not sounding good. If it is puffy and red, or feels warm, or has a red line starting to trail up from it, or he's running a fever then you need to go to the doctor ASAP. When I was very young I had a cut get infected and turn into blood poisoning. Google infected cuts and blood poisoning and learn what to look for.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:02 PM on Sep. 20, 2009